ruveyn ben yosef

Art and immortal beauty

16 posts in this topic

Time is not on the side of the young (and rather good looking model). In 50 or 60 years, if she still lives, she will not look that good.

What is your purpose in pointing that out, ruveyn? She lives now, is beautiful now, and so is the painting.

Time is not on the side of the young (and rather good looking model). In 50 or 60 years, if she still lives, she will not look that good.

What is your purpose in pointing that out, ruveyn? She lives now, is beautiful now, and so is the painting.

Even more significant, she will always remain young and beautiful in the painting.

My purpose is to state a fact or a probable event.

I am the Little Boy from The Emperor's New Clothes. I am compelled to say true things.

ruveyn

ruveyn

I don’t think anyone is denying reality here; age is the natural progression of life. The fact is that the model in the painting is young and beautiful now and probably will be for many years to come, which is why she still has “time on her side”. Meanwhile, the artist, with his paintbrush, has immortalised her youth and beauty. Isn’t that splendid?

But the question is why this particular fact, on this particular point.

I am the Little Boy from The Emperor's New Clothes.

Not quite. The context doesn't allow for it.

I am compelled to say true things.

In that's the only true thing you could think to post . . .

I am the Little Boy from The Emperor's New Clothes. I am compelled to say true things.

ruveyn

The android Data from ST:TNG was also compelled say true things, but it was often much to the frustration and displeasure of his friends and coworkers, as he lacked the ability to judge what information should be voiced when and in what context. Everyone here is aware of "true things", that there is a 0.001% chance that an astroid could kill us while we sleep at night, or that time steals youth. There's nothing constructive in reminding people of "true things" in a context which doesn't require nor want nor need it.

Even more significant, she will always remain young and beautiful in the painting.

Thank you, Betsy.

I will quote from a truly great artist, Albrecht Durer, written to artists: "One may often search through two or three hundred men without finding amongst them more than one or two points of beauty which can be made use of. You, therefore, if you desire to compose a fine figure, must take the head from some, the chest, arm, leg, hand and foot from others; and, likewise, search through all members of every kind. For from many beautiful things something good may be gathered, even as honey is gathered from many flowers."

I will say that the head in my painting is from one (one of my daughters--and that has much invention), the body from another and the fingers came from my wife. Much here, is invented too. One does not need a nude model to create a painting of a nude. Not if he really, really knows his anatomy. However, I did have a nude model, yet still made inventions.

On the other matter, I will state without proof, that my wife, at age 62, looks as young--this not from me (I might have some bias) but from persons who meet her for the first time making a guess as to her age--as 45. How is this possible? By living a moral life, by having and keeping a youthful sense of life. To me, she'll always look 15, how old she was when I saw all this and then some.

Thank you, Betsy.

I will quote from a truly great artist, Albrecht Durer, written to artists: "One may often search through two or three hundred men without finding amongst them more than one or two points of beauty which can be made use of. You, therefore, if you desire to compose a fine figure, must take the head from some, the chest, arm, leg, hand and foot from others; and, likewise, search through all members of every kind. For from many beautiful things something good may be gathered, even as honey is gathered from many flowers."

I will say that the head in my painting is from one (one of my daughters--and that has much invention), the body from another and the fingers came from my wife. Much here, is invented too. One does not need a nude model to create a painting of a nude. Not if he really, really knows his anatomy. However, I did have a nude model, yet still made inventions.

On the other matter, I will state without proof, that my wife, at age 62, looks as young--this not from me (I might have some bias) but from persons who meet her for the first time making a guess as to her age--as 45. How is this possible? By living a moral life, by having and keeping a youthful sense of life. To me, she'll always look 15, how old she was when I saw all this and then some.

Whoa! This is not one of my daughters' body as I imply in the earlier post. Although she did pose for me at age 17, home on leave from Marine Corps boot camp—see a work from that session here: http://tracyfineart.com/nude_study_b.htm

[How did she join the Marines at age 17? A brilliant child. Skipped from grade 5 to 7 and then went through high school, graduating at age 16 and 3 months.]

No, the model for this painting is a 22 year old who was head of the Purdue University Objectivist Club when she posed for me. See how close her pose is to my “Time Is On My Side”: http://tracyfineart.com/various/images/friendsonly/the_book.png The breasts in my new paintings are not hers.

Bob, your vision of youth and beauty is ageless for those of us who love it.

Thank you very much for this, Brian.

How long will the painting last? Forgive me for being a stickler for facts. I have a thing about facts. Facts rule. Theories and Principles sometimes serve.

I am the fellow who points out that on a Perfect Day, the weather can only get worse. That is true, you know. Have you ever seen a Perfect Day last? That is why when the weather is clear and the sky is a lovely blue I carry an umbrella. Optimists like you need pessimists like me to keep your optimism honest.

ruveyn

Then the point of your pointings out is to jar or to kill positive thoughts and feelings. If I could point to something positive about your pointings out, I would do so, but I cannot. It's all negative and empty and meaningless.

How long will the painting last? Forgive me for being a stickler for facts. I have a thing about facts. Facts rule. Theories and Principles sometimes serve.

I am the fellow who points out that on a Perfect Day, the weather can only get worse. That is true, you know. Have you ever seen a Perfect Day last? That is why when the weather is clear and the sky is a lovely blue I carry an umbrella. Optimists like you need pessimists like me to keep your optimism honest.

ruveyn

How long will the painting last? How long will the Earth last? How long do molecules last? What's the purpose of this line of questions? Simple enjoyment of a value doesn't equate to an irrationally "optimistic" view of the world where all prized material objects last forever. No one here is engaging in such an illusion, and your pointing out the transient nature of a beautiful object unsolicited and unwanted.

Besides, the meaning and joy of our values is forever, even if the material thing they derived from is transient. I love the car I own, as I've been driving it for +10 years, and it was the first automobile I ever purchased. Even when there's nothing left but rat-chewed wiring, broken windows, a locked-up engine, and rusted fenders, the memory of my car when I drove it will always be with me, and so long as I exist I'll have this memory. The memory only dies when I die, which effectively means it never dies. So long as I exist, my values exist.

whoops, typo. Should've read

and your pointing out the transient nature of a beautiful object is both unsolicited and unwanted.