Betsy Speicher

Atlas Shrugged Part 2 Begins Principal Photography

7 posts in this topic

Atlas Shrugged Part 2 Begins Principal Photography

Atlas Shrugged Part 2 Fully Cast with Shooting to Begin Today

gI_82352_DagnyHankRearden.png

From left to right, "Hank" (Jason Beghe), "Dagny" (Samantha Mathis), and "Frisco" (Esai Morales)

Beverly Hills, CA (PRWEB) April 02, 2012

Either-Or Productions announced today that the film adaptation of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, Part 2, “Either Or” has been fully cast and principal photography has begun.

Based on Ayn Rand’s (Feb. 2 1905 - Mar. 6 1982) 1957 novel, ATLAS SHRUGGED PART II: EITHER OR is set in a near future dystopian United States with a global economy on the brink of collapse and brilliant creators, from artists to industrialists, mysteriously disappearing at the hands of the unknown.

Starring in the film are Samantha Mathis as the heroine Dagny Taggart, Jason Baghe as the industrialist Henry “Hank” Rearden, and Esai Morales as the playboy Francisco “Frisco” d’Anconia.

Producer Harmon Kaslow said “We’re thrilled to have such a wonderful group of actors on board. In green-lighting part two, John and I decided to take a fresh look at everything and we couldn’t be happier with the results so far. The new cast are simply fantastic and bring a tremendous amount of experience and enthusiasm to the project.”

Filling out the cast are Patrick Fabian as James Taggart, Kim Rhodes as Lillian, Richard T. Jones as Eddie, Paul McCrane as Wesley Mouch, John Rubenstein as Dr. Ferris, Robert Picardo as Dr. Robert Stadler, Ray Wise as Head of State Thompson, Ary Gross as Ken Danager and Rex Linn as Kip Chalmers. A complete cast list is forthcoming on IMDB.

Duncan Scott, a screenwriter on the project and four time Emmy® award-winner, who worked extensively with Rand on the restoration of her film classic “We the Living” stated “It’s very exciting to have a cast that projects the sense of life that one would hope to see when bringing Rand’s iconic characters to the screen.”

About Either-Or Productions

Either Productions, LLC. was formed by John Aglialoro as a motion picture studio to produce and distribute Part 2 of the Atlas Shrugged movie trilogy based on Ayn Rand’s epic novel. For more information, visit

http://www.AtlasShruggedMovie.com.

This is what I feared would happen when I heard that Atlas would be a three-part movie with only the first part completed when it was first released: at least one of the main characters would be played by a different actor or actress (e.g., Samantha Mathis now plays Dagny Taggart instead of Taylor Schilling).

It's not that any new performers of roles from Part I will not be any good. What really grates against me is the prospect that this divided-up film (from a single novel) will be like three different movies. I expect consistency from films, and that they be self-contained. I always wanted Atlas Shrugged to be just one movie, say, about three-and-a-half or four hours long (at the most). I believe you should be able to enjoy a great film in one sitting (maybe with an intermission). Would you be able to include everything in a three- or four-hour film of Atlas? Of course not, and I don't think anyone would expect that. But they would expect the essentials of the story: the essential characters, the essential situations, and, most of all, the essential ideas and sense-of-life of the book. And if you are going to make a three-part movie, then film it all at once and release the three parts in three consecutive years. What would you do if--worst case scenario--one or more of your actors died between movies being made, for instance? And if Peter Jackson can film something all at once first, why can't other people who take on something like Atlas Shrugged? (The ironic thing is that J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is actually three individual books, not one novel, even though they are all connected. That, I believe, is due to the saga-style story of the opus.)

Well. we'll see how well Part II of Atlas goes. It may be very good. I just think that anything like the story in Atlas is more profound and has more impact if presented as a unit.

Quick correction: The Lord of the Rings was issued as three books, but Tolkien considered it one story and was not happy with the publisher's decision. In fact, each of the three volumes are divided into two "books," numbered consecutively 1 through 6 by the author.

Regading part 2 of the Atlas movie, in my not at all humble opinion, part 1 was so bad that there is no point in continuing to parts 2 and 3. (See my review elsewhere on this forum.) There will be even less point in going to see whatever comes next.

More important than discontinuity due to change of actors is whether or not certain fundamental problems in characterization and philosophical motivation in the script are improved upon.

I almost drove off the road today when Sean Hannity teased that he was scheduled to make a cameo appearance in Part II. The movie is scheduled for a 10/12 release.

I just realized the above isn't very clear. "Teased" as in didn't want to give details. He wasn't kidding. (It should expand the audience for the movie and, therefore, the book(s).)