JohnRgt

The WHY 58 x 38 (Wally Hermes Yacht) (video, 4:39)

8 posts in this topic

http://www.why-yachts.com/

A mockup of this vessel's interior volume has either been built or is being built at a Wally shipyard in Italy. They're serious! (Yes, it's an ocean crosser!)

This baby must have a keel hundreds of feet deep. I would have though they would use a double hull catamaran for stability and speed. With photovoltaic power I would have thought the reducing drag would be a major issue.

ruveyn

http://www.why-yachts.com/

A mockup of this vessel's interior volume has either been built or is being built at a Wally shipyard in Italy. They're serious! (Yes, it's an ocean crosser!)

That is totally gorgeous! I'd love to live in something like that on dry land. And it's amazing the way they can do a walk-thru of the design with computer graphics.

This baby must have a keel hundreds of feet deep. I would have though they would use a double hull catamaran for stability and speed. With photovoltaic power I would have thought the reducing drag would be a major issue.

She drafts 11.5ft. She's not quick at 12knots, but she is massive for her length, flooded with light, and her massive rear negates the need for stabilizers.

She drafts 11.5ft. She's not quick at 12knots, but she is massive for her length, flooded with light, and her massive rear negates the need for stabilizers.

11.5 feet! Hayzus Marimba! How does she stay stable in heavy seas?

ruveyn

. . . and no automated stabilizers.

My guess would be that the vessel's shape and inertia take care of it. (You have to remember that 95% of megayachts, be they sail or motor, are intended to cruise the Med, the Caribbean, and a few other locales. They'll wait for the right weather to cross oceans. And since the owner and his guests aren't aboard when oceans are crossed, comfort in rough seas isn't a high priority.)