Mac

A Normal Day

11 posts in this topic

a_normal_day_l.png

A Normal Day

Watercolor

7 x 10"

At deviantArt there was a comment:

"...but a girl looking into the distance....perhaps hoping to see something more peaceful!!!"

I replied:

"I figured that whatever she's looking at is just as peaceful as what's going on around her. What's not peaceful about a power plant (I won't get into politics here, except to say that it's industry that makes so much we all take for granted possible) producing the energy that brings her such simple things as the colored streamers she's holding? And what is that? The wrapping from the package she opened presenting her with a new dress for her birthday? Always a mystery. The rocket blasting off is meant to show that on a normal day a little girl will take such a momentous event for granted. Happens all the time. While she stands on some block that might be a dangerous thing for a child to be doing, she has no fear. The world is a peaceful place where these things are the norm."

a_normal_day_l.png

A Normal Day

Watercolor

7 x 10"

"...but a girl looking into the distance....perhaps hoping to see something more peaceful!!!"

I replied:

"I figured that whatever she's looking at is just as peaceful as what's going on around her. What's not peaceful about a power plant (I won't get into politics here, except to say that it's industry that makes so much we all take for granted possible) producing the energy that brings her such simple things as the colored streamers she's holding? And what is that? The wrapping from the package she opened presenting her with a new dress for her birthday? Always a mystery. The rocket blasting off is meant to show that on a normal day a little girl will take such a momentous event for granted. Happens all the time. While she stands on some block that might be a dangerous thing for a child to be doing, she has no fear. The world is a peaceful place where these things are the norm."

Every picture tells a story, and what a nice story this one tells, Robert. The little girl has complete acceptance and trust of all that’s going on around her, and looks wondrously into the distant, promising future. (And I just know she’s going to tie those long, pretty silk ribbons in her hair when she gets home). I love the way you’ve captures the white light on her.

An engaging painting, thank you for sharing it here.

Why isn't the girl looking at the rocket taking off?

ruveyn

Because for her it's just one other occurrence in her day.

a_normal_day_l.png

A Normal Day

Watercolor

7 x 10"

I replied:

Every picture tells a story, and what a nice story this one tells, Robert. The little girl has complete acceptance and trust of all that’s going on around her, and looks wondrously into the distant, promising future. (And I just know she’s going to tie those long, pretty silk ribbons in her hair when she gets home). I love the way you’ve captures the white light on her.

An engaging painting, thank you for sharing it here.

Thank you very much, Mary. You see well.

The composition and the bright colors give it a special benevolence. Love it!

Thank you very much, Betsy.

Yeah, that is a special painting. I don't see this kind of pro-man motive elsewhere, at least not depicted as consciously. I agree with Betsy about the brights colors and composition, and yet there's something subdued about it that gives it an air of solemnity at the same time.

I was out for a walk by the coast with my father and brother, and dad chuckled and said "it's a beautiful sight but you might want to look away from the paper processing plants", of which there are three by that particular coastline. But they were the one I was looking at. I realized why and smiled to myself as we left.

Yeah, that is a special painting. I don't see this kind of pro-man motive elsewhere, at least not depicted as consciously. I agree with Betsy about the brights colors and composition, and yet there's something subdued about it that gives it an air of solemnity at the same time.

I was out for a walk by the coast with my father and brother, and dad chuckled and said "it's a beautiful sight but you might want to look away from the paper processing plants", of which there are three by that particular coastline. But they were the one I was looking at. I realized why and smiled to myself as we left.

Thank you very much for you comment on the painting, for your insight about the solemnity of it.

Your personal story is a delight.