Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
realitycheck44

Ayn Rand quoted in One Tree Hill

3 posts in this topic

For whatever reason I just started watching One Tree Hill, mainly because it's available on Netflix's instant view. Not sure if I'll like the show - seems a little sappy and it will probably only get worse. But the second episode (which aired in 2003) probably has the best representation of Objectivism in mainstream media I've ever seen. The main character, a book nerd and basketball star, was given Atlas Shrugged, and told, "Don't let them take it from you". Pretty insightful for a mainstream show. They actually quoted her at the end, with the main character saying “Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours.”

Pretty pumped about it, no matter how the show turns out. Thought I'd mention it here!

Thinking about this a bit more, I think the reason this hit me so hard is that the main character is not traditionally "selfish" as contrasted to the other main character in the show. Very unusual to see that depth made by Hollywood or the media. Again, not an endorsement for the show, just saying it was a cool moment.

Great to find out about this. Thanks

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0