kenstauffer

Richard Dawkins Annoys Me!

31 posts in this topic

But technically I don't think I made an error--what I meant is that no single plant can provide a complete source of protein, whereas a single egg does.

According to Wikipedia (always at least somewhat suspect IMO):

... Some non-animal, complete proteins can be obtained through certain plants, such as soya, hempseed, amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa, ...

I was a veggie for about three years. I used soy products (such as tofu) and a variety of grains. I was perfectly healthy the entire time. I lost no muscle mass nor did I gain weight. I gave it up because it was boring and I just -love- the taste of chicken. So I can personally back up the wiki article.

Bob Kolker

But technically I don't think I made an error--what I meant is that no single plant can provide a complete source of protein, whereas a single egg does.

According to Wikipedia (always at least somewhat suspect IMO):

... Some non-animal, complete proteins can be obtained through certain plants, such as soya, hempseed, amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa, ...

Ok, I concede defeat! :lol:

I am not endorsing a vegetarian diet personally (I am not one)...

Yeah! I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain just to eat what food eats!

:lol:

Yeah! I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain just to eat what food eats!

Yeah, what Michael said. :(

Veggietarianism is so wrapped up in silliness that I couldn't consider it unless I had a specific medical reason why I could eat no meat. 'Sides, one of the joys in my life is my once a month splurge on a really nice steak. Aside from tasting yummie, it invigorates me both physically and mentally. If that makes me a parasite, make the best of it.

Yeah, what Michael said. :(

Veggietarianism is so wrapped up in silliness that I couldn't consider it unless I had a specific medical reason why I could eat no meat. 'Sides, one of the joys in my life is my once a month splurge on a really nice steak. Aside from tasting yummie, it invigorates me both physically and mentally. If that makes me a parasite, make the best of it.

I had always thought there was something wrong with vegetarianism/veganism until very recently. It just seemed kooky and, in my mind, tightly bound to back-to-nature environmentalists, Birkenstock sandals, and hemp-shirt wearers.

I am now a "flexitarian' myself, and eating this way has rejuvenated my life, almost to the degree that Objectivism did when I was introduced to it. I have promised to open a thread on this subject, and will, soon.

Ironically, I found out about Dr. Joel Fuhrman on Capitalism Magazine - a link to his website had been posted on Dollars & Crosses. Mark Da Cunha, the publisher of Cap Mag is a very good friend of Dr. Fuhrman's. Fuhrman's superintegration Nutrient Density may be the first word of the last paragraph on the human diet.

It's as we've always been told: "Eat your veggies!!!"

... 'Sides, one of the joys in my life is my once a month splurge on a really nice steak. Aside from tasting yummie, it invigorates me both physically and mentally. If that makes me a parasite, make the best of it.

All living organisms use their environment in order to live, which includes the entire food chain. That does not make us 'parasites', which is an entirely different concept. Enjoy your steak. :( Maybe even move it up to twice a month :lol: .