JohnRgt

New York Sun LTE

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I had the following LTE published in the 6/15 issue of the New York Sun.

The “Cinderella Man” review I responded to poked fun at the depiction of Braddock as able to stand alone against the adversities of the Great Depression. The review criticizes the movie for not showing the actual mechanisms used by GD survivors: Community, Sacrifice, Hopeless Struggle, etc. (Capitals mine.)

I trust no one on this forum would be surprised to know that the reviewer, James Bowman, writes for conservative publications.

His site:

http://www.jamesbowman.net/reviews.asp

<LTE>

Re “The Fight Of Their Lives,” James Bowman, Arts & Letters, June 3, 2005. Mr. Bowman’s sly attacks on the notion that an individual can prevail against adversity were necessary; without them, he couldn’t use the Great Depression to argue for the altruist creed in a movie review.

Though billions of dollars have been spent to convince us otherwise, Americans should never forget that it was bleeding-heart altruism that caused the Great Depression – not the determination of Americans to take advantage of a booming economy.

In order to help postwar Britain rebuild, the Federal Reserve was “asked” to keep interest rates far below what the ever-increasing demand for capital necessitated. Removing the Invisible Hand from the valve that controlled the flow of investment moneys created a bubble whose heard-around-the-world burst is still seen as indisputable proof that unfettered capitalism doesn’t work.

Where would prominent commentators, regardless of political leanings and religious inclinations, be without the millennia-old superstition of Original Sin?

<End LTE>

For more on the actual cause of the GD see Richard Salsman's material at ARB.

http://www.aynrandbookstore.com/

JohnRGT

I had the following LTE published in the 6/15 issue of the New York Sun.

Congratulations on getting the letter published.

The “Cinderella Man” review I responded to poked fun at the depiction of Braddock as able to stand alone against the adversities of the Great Depression.  The review criticizes the movie for not showing the actual mechanisms used by GD survivors: Community, Sacrifice, Hopeless Struggle, etc. (Capitals mine.)

Movie Spoiler Ahead

In the movie Braddock was a wonderfully admirable character. There is a beautiful scene where Braddock stands in line at the government welfare office, and when his turn comes he is shown repaying the money he had reluctantly received earlier, when he was desperate. He did not consider it welfare, but rather a debt to be repaid. The Times reviewer should be ashamed of himself for poking fun at a man like that.