epistemologue

The History of Philosophy by Leonard Peikoff

16 posts in this topic

I will pay nearly anything to get my hands on these lecture courses. Please let me know if you have them. I would be willing to buy them, borrow them, or come up with an arrangement that is most favorable to you.

thanks.

You can message me on here or preferably email me at hankx7787@gmail.com

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea about the current market value of "The History..." on tape cassettes?

In 1994 it was sold by the Second Renaissance for 2 x 295 US$ , Parts 1 and 2.

TIA

Alex

I agree with your assessment that it is important to do everything you can to get hold of this lecture series. I have an excellent set of notes (mostly not legible for others) from when I heard it in the old program for renting the (full reel) tapes for an entire group, but don't have the recordings myself. The series has always been very expensive to buy.

I don't know why it is no longer available at the Ayn Rand Bookstore or why nothing has been publicly said about that. It is still listed at Leonard Peikoff's website as available at the Bookstore. He also gives additional contact information:

All of Leonard Peikoff’s lectures may be ordered from the Ayn Rand Bookstore via their website, or by calling them at 1-800-729-6149 (U.S. or Canada), or 1-949-222-6557 (International).

along with a link to contact him directly with questions.

Hopefully this is only a temporary situation due to a change in accessibility/format to make them more accessible to the average person than they have been.

Let us know what you find out.

I wish someone would finish translating these lectures into a series of books.

So do I, but no such project has been publicly announced.

Many years ago someone started transcribing and selling individual lectures but it was apparently stopped as a copyright violation. I hope that the non-availability of the recordings means that some kind of transcription or rewriting has been undertaken in a legitimate project.

I wish someone would finish translating these lectures into a series of books.

So do I, but no such project has been publicly announced.

Many years ago someone started transcribing and selling individual lectures but it was apparently stopped as a copyright violation. I hope that the non-availability of the recordings means that some kind of transcription or rewriting has been undertaken in a legitimate project.

It better not be too extensive a rewrite. Some of us put a lot of time and money into those lectures . . . and our minds don't exactly pivot on a dime . . .

I'm here at OCON and I heard, from a reliable source, that the lectures will soon be available for downloading. I'll add more information as I get it.

Many years ago someone started transcribing and selling individual lectures but it was apparently stopped as a copyright violation. ...

They were transcribed and edited by Linda Reardan and published by George Reisman. The publication started in 1994 and was stopped after the fifth lecture (2002). I don't think there is a copyright problem, at least not with the five published lectures, because:

- in his 1994 Preface to the first lecture, L. Peikoff writes "I am very pleased that my History of Philosophy lectures are being edited by Linda Reardan for publication by Professor George Reisman." and because

- the five lectures are still available on the G. Reisman's page: http://www.capitalism.net/Peikoff.htm

If the publication stopped somehow because of the Reisman-ARI split, I do not know; maybe L. Reardan somehow lost interest because of the split - I just speculate.

Sasha

Many years ago someone started transcribing and selling individual lectures but it was apparently stopped as a copyright violation. ...

They were transcribed and edited by Linda Reardan and published by George Reisman. The publication started in 1994 and was stopped after the fifth lecture (2002). I don't think there is a copyright problem, at least not with the five published lectures, because:

- in his 1994 Preface to the first lecture, L. Peikoff writes "I am very pleased that my History of Philosophy lectures are being edited by Linda Reardan for publication by Professor George Reisman." and because

- the five lectures are still available on the G. Reisman's page: http://www.capitalism.net/Peikoff.htm

If the publication stopped somehow because of the Reisman-ARI split, I do not know; maybe L. Reardan somehow lost interest because of the split - I just speculate. Sasha

The Leonard Peikoff original endorsement is interesting. This topic has been discussed several times and I don't remember reading about that previously. I wonder if a copyright controversy arose after a withdrawal of permission following Peikoff's denunciation of George Reisman.

I wonder if a copyright controversy arose after a withdrawal of permission following Peikoff's denunciation of George Reisman.

Why not ask G. Reisman directly?

Sasha

I wonder if a copyright controversy arose after a withdrawal of permission following Peikoff's denunciation of George Reisman.

Why not ask G. Reisman directly? Sasha

I don't know him or know if he would be willing to talk about such matters. Anyone can try at his website.

I had a discussion some years ago with a man who briefly owned Second Renaissance Books. He had some excellent ideas for improving the material including transcription of various lectures (I suggested integrating fulltext search of the transcription so that it could also link to the audio). He gave up after awhile, I'm fairly sure because he (as with so many others) couldn't deal with Leonard Peikoff.

I had a discussion some years ago with a man who briefly owned Second Renaissance Books. He had some excellent ideas for improving the material including transcription of various lectures (I suggested integrating fulltext search of the transcription so that it could also link to the audio). He gave up after awhile, I'm fairly sure because he (as with so many others) couldn't deal with Leonard Peikoff.

A full transcription would be a lot of work. Could you at that earlier time have done it practically with voice recognition (followed by extensive proof reading and corrections)?

"A lot" is a relative term. Transcription is a widely available service and I don't think paying for it was the issue.

Yaron Brook announced that the Ayn Rand Bookstore will shortly reopen as the Ayn Rand eStore and all their materials will be available for download at "reasonable" prices.