L-C

What is the allure of getting drunk?

31 posts in this topic

I see nothing wrong with consuming a product that can help you relax and/or cut back the inhibitions a bit. In fact, I love that people get together to do just that, be it with friends, family, or on special occasions.

But why would one need it?

Why do people need to have sex, or drive fast cars, or make money? People do things they enjoy; there's no riddle to this.

Typically I'm relaxed and unhibited if I'm supposed to be. And if I'm supposed to be but aren't, I'd rather adress the source of the problem.
But you aren't always supposed to be relaxed. If it's been a stressful day at the office, you will feel stressed. There's no dark inner reason for this; human's feel stressed when they are stressed, and they do relaxing things to relax.

Coffee isn't required for coding fortran, but it sure as hell is a boost! That's my indirect answer.

I don't see how using caffeine as a physical (for the brain) boost to increase productivity is comparable to using alcohol to affect one's social inhibitions. Do you have inhibitions when around people you like? If no, you don't need alcohol, right? And if yes, couldn't you fix them? I assume that such inhibitions can be fixed through reasoning and practice, whereas you can't just command a physically tired brain to snap out of it.

Of course I can. I can also drive to the store perfectly fine in a slow grey car. But driving to the store in a cherry-red Lamborghini is more fun, isn't it?

I don't see how using caffeine as a physical (for the brain) boost to increase productivity is comparable to using alcohol...

The alcohol serves as a relaxation boost.

Carlos, I don't disagree that some people may enjoy the taste of alcohol, but in what context? I mean, alcohol has a distinctive chemical taste and one that , had someone not known what alcohol is and tried it would most likely not seek it out as a tasty staple. I would wager that very few drinkers actually and honestly enjoy the taste of alcohol in the literal sense of loving, appreciating, and wanting more of it on their tastebuds. I agree with you that moderation is key in regards to alcohol, as it is with most drugs.

Carols, I don't disagree that some people may enjoy the taste of alcohol, but in what context? I mean, alcohol has a distinctive chemical taste

Yes pure alcohol has a harsh, strong taste. But so would a spoonful of pure freshly ground pepper, or cinnamon, or salt. It's how you mix and balance all the tastes together.

and one that , had someone not known what alcohol is and tried it would most likely not seek it out as a tasty staple.

I understand what you are saying, but considering how dramatically food/drink preferences have changed across time it's pretty hard to project what some hypothetical person in a hypothetical culture should like. There was a time in the Mediterranean where they would make this sauce from rotting minnows in a bucket under the sun, and then gleefully put this sauce on everything. People in east asia eat fried scorpions. People in the USA eat fried bull testicles. The variations in food/drink are wild to say the least.

Carlos, I don't disagree that some people may enjoy the taste of alcohol, but in what context? I mean, alcohol has a distinctive chemical taste and one that , had someone not known what alcohol is and tried it would most likely not seek it out as a tasty staple. I would wager that very few drinkers actually and honestly enjoy the taste of alcohol in the literal sense of loving, appreciating, and wanting more of it on their tastebuds. I agree with you that moderation is key in regards to alcohol, as it is with most drugs.

Erik, Let's not get confused. No drink is just alcohol. There are many other factors and ingredients that are used during production of the drink that affects taste.

I don't see how using caffeine as a physical (for the brain) boost to increase productivity is comparable to using alcohol...

The alcohol serves as a relaxation boost.

Work is the enemy of the drinking class. (just kidding!)

Too much booze undermines reason. Too much coffee only causes one to urinate a great deal.

ruveyn