A=A

Hello the Group

11 posts in this topic

Been reading (on and off) in the forums as a guest now for around a year. Finally decided to sign up.

I'm a Welding Technician living in Montana, USA for the past 10 years.

First stumbled across Miss Rand when I was around 35 (just turned 55). My first reaction was pretty much "how in the hell did I get to be this old with out ever having heard about this woman?"

My interests include, tinkering with and building things (especially when I'm getting paid to do so), metal working and gardening. I'd also like to think I shoot a fairly good game of pool.

A=A

Welcome!! I had the same thought when I was 16 or 17 in a Catholic High School and I haven't looked back. Keep your mind open cuz' you're going to learn a lot.

Welcome, A=A:

I am curious (and maybe others are, too) how you "stumbled" on Ayn Rand, and what the novel, play or non-fiction work by her was that really got you started on studying her view of life and her philosophical system.

Welcome, A=A:

I am curious (and maybe others are, too) how you "stumbled" on Ayn Rand, and what the novel, play or non-fiction work by her was that really got you started on studying her view of life and her philosophical system.

Jim,

Around 20 years a go while looking for some thing to read I dug a copy of The Fountainhead out of a box of used paper backs I'd acquired. I don't think I got more than 20 pages into it before deciding it wasn't worth reading and throwing it back in the box. With in 3 to 4 months an ex-Navy buddy who I stayed in touch with called me one night all excited over just having read Atlas Shrugged and wanting to know if I'd read it yet. When I asked who wrote it and he said Ayn Rand I told him about my recent experience with attemting to read The Fountainhead. He brushed that aside and was very adamant to me that Atlas was on the must read list. Based on our past history of swapping and recomending reading material to each other I knew there must be something to it that I should probably investigate so I went out and bought a copy of Atlas. That book did get my attention and set me on fire to learn more about it's author. In short order I went and read the 4 essay collection books of hers and have been an advocate of Objectivism ever since.

A=A

A=A:

That's great that Atlas "fired you up"! I think it's a terrific Ayn Rand work to start with. The one that started me off was The Romantic Manifesto; it literally changed the course of my life (some other time maybe I will state the reasons why).

But my favorite book--by anyone--is The Fountainhead (I could talk all day about that novel; some other time for that, too!). I hope that, with a fresh mind after reading other works by Ayn Rand, you eventually re-approached The Fountainhead and were not only able to read it all the way through, but to enjoy and love it as much as I did.

Good luck on your intellectual journey. It will not be a journey into a rationalistic stratosphere, but one on which you will discover rational ideas which apply to your own life--here on earth--long-range and everyday.

I am actually moving from the Flathead to Placer County, CA next week! Whereabouts in MT are you?

About 25 miles West of Great Falls.