Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ruveyn ben yosef

Transit of Venus this 5 & 6 of June. Don't miss it

6 posts in this topic

If you miss the next transit of Venus this 5-6 of June you will have to wait until 2117 for the next one.

The transit of Venus is very important. It enables precision calibration of astronomical measurements of the solar system. Using the latest gee-whiz technology we will get a better measure of our distance from the Sun, a better measure of the diameter of the Sun. Astronomical light shows like this are rare and should not be missed if one wants to catch the show.

ruveyn

If you miss the next transit of Venus this 5-6 of June you will have to wait until 2117 for the next one.

The transit of Venus is very important. It enables precision calibration of astronomical measurements of the solar system. Using the latest gee-whiz technology we will get a better measure of our distance from the Sun, a better measure of the diameter of the Sun. Astronomical light shows like this are rare and should not be missed if one wants to catch the show.

ruveyn

I think I'll wait.

The viewing schedule for the transit can be seen at

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/transit12.html

It will be visible from the U.S. in the evening of June 5. If you do plan on watching it it is very importing to use proper dark lenses to protect your eyes. Do not attempt to see it with the naked eye or using photo-negatives to cover up the eyes. Also ordinary sun glasses are not sufficient protection. There are glasses available for watching eclipses and they will do nicely. Also welders googles.

Happy viewing.

ruveyn

The viewing schedule for the transit can be seen at

http://eclipse.gsfc..../transit12.html

It will be visible from the U.S. in the evening of June 5. If you do plan on watching it it is very importing to use proper dark lenses to protect your eyes. Do not attempt to see it with the naked eye or using photo-negatives to cover up the eyes. Also ordinary sun glasses are not sufficient protection. There are glasses available for watching eclipses and they will do nicely. Also welders googles.

Happy viewing.

ruveyn

ruveyn,

Thank you for the information on this event. I plan on trying to catch some of it at Sun set on Tuesday.

Since I stare at a bright light to earn a living I'd like to offer a few words of safety on "welders googles". Welder's (cutting) goggles (which just cover the eye area) almost always have only a shade 4 or 5 dark lens in them. This is sufficent to protect your eyes from the ultraviolet light given off by an oxy-fuel gas flame but it is not dark enough to look at the Sun through for any length of time. A Welder's hood (which covers the full face) usually has a shade 10 or 11 dark lens in it. This is dark enough to protect the eyes from the more intense ultraviolet light given off by an electric arc and is suitable for prolonged viewing of the Sun.

Since "goggles" are lighter, less cumberson and more comfortable to wear (not to mention quite the Steam Punk fashion statement) it would be safe to use them for solar viewing as long as you made sure they had the darker shade 10 or 11 lens installed in them. All though you would probably have to take it out of the "hood" or "goggles" to see it, some where a long the edge of the lens there should be a number printed on it indicating it's "shade".

A=A

165979_3594861423243_1207576854_n.jpg

Taken 6/5/12 through the telescope lens with my cell phone camera. Not only Venus but sun spots can be seen. (I don't know what that dark spot in the upper part is. It wasn't on the sun!)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0