Stephen Speicher

Batman Begins (2005)

Rate this movie   41 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

I saw Batman Begins this afternoon, and found myself thoroughly engrossed by the film. The plot is well developed, the acting generally excellent, and the story is that of a hero, a refreshing development in recent films. I was particularly impressed with the portrayal of an intransigent moral purpose, and of the utter incorruptibility of the hero. There were a few memorable lines, representing the heroic approach to life, and twists of plot that kept the audience guessing at the outcome. Batman as a hero is quite human, which is to say he was superb, and morally exemplary. The audience in the theater I attended broke into applause at the conclusion of the movie, a phenomenon I cannot remember occurring in a movie theater, at least not in recent years. In fact I was as much impressed with the spontaneous applause as with the film: maybe the American people really are appreciative of excellence and of heroism.

There were a few aspects that I did not care for. As has been said in this forum, the actress playing the love interest of Batman was not really the best choice. There were aspects of the story I thought were poorly developed--at least I could not understand them.

Overall, however, I gave it a 10. Go see it! It is worth watching.

In fact I was as much impressed with the spontaneous applause as with the film:  maybe the American people really are appreciative of excellence and of heroism.

They most certainly do!

I'd say the admiration for heroes falters as it gets more intellectual, but there's no doubt in my mind that the normal American is very admiring of heroes.