Betsy Speicher

Raphaella di Piero by Bill Bucko

Rate this book   2 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

I’m happy to announce the publication of my 4th book, Raphaella di Piero, a short novel (33,000 words) I’ve been working on since 1991. It’s the climax of my writing career, expressing everything I want to say about life.

Also available in Kindle format:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008C9GLYU

(No Kindle device needed; just download the free Kindle app for PC or Mac.)

Description:

A harrowing drama of murder and love, in the early Italian Renaissance!

“What is she to conclude, when she understands what happened? That love leads to ... death? That pain is all she can expect, if she ever cares for someone? .... You look into her eyes and see a wall of fear to keep you out. You would die for her, and that’s why she can never be yours?”

Raphaella di Piero tells of a profound love; but it is not primarily a love story. Its theme is the crucial importance of valuing in human life. It tells of two children, their souls deeply scarred by violence, struggling to make sense of the world around them.

From the author of The Outcasts: the story of a girl whose father murdered her mother … and the boy who loves her.

I hope I will be permitted to pass on this review by Objectivist businessman Peter Murphy:

From opening scene to astonishing conclusion,
Raphaella di Piero
's ingenious plot riveted this reader's attention and provided 100% pure enjoyment!

Mr. Bucko's comprehensive historical scholarship (detailed in an afterword section) engenders smooth, vivid transport into houses, streets and lives of late 14th century Florence - all while remaining properly as rich backdrop for the even richer insights and choices his timeless characters face. And unlike much modern fiction, there is not a single extraneous word, fact or idea here - just a flowing procession of rich elements (including some delightful poetry) efficiently building to climax and wonderful totality!

Adolescent girls and boys struggling with newfound awareness of adult irrationality will find the lead characters especially inspiring, but this book deserves to be read by everyone who values integrity, independence, the human spirit, and happiness on earth.

41B4PutOx2L.jpg

Raphaella di Piero by Bill Bucko.

Paperback and Kindle

You've known the experience of seeing the interrelationship of one art form in various other art works. Haven't you? You hear a piece of music that brings to mind visual arts, or in a literary work, you hear a piece of music, or see a favorite painting. Looking at a painting you might hear some music and a quote from a book. Here's my experience in reading Bill Bucko's new novel "Raphaella di Piero".

I read it first a couple of years ago in manuscript form and loved it. Now published, it's always good for me to hold a book as a physical object, a thing to keep and treasure—I often buy a second copy for underlining and notes. I love “Raphaella di Piero” even more in its finished form. Not to give away the plot, I will say that its theme is the great one: VALUING. The theme is about valuers…and those who fail to value. That is to say, Bucko has presented an appealing character, (the title name) showing, in her, the importance of independent thinking and acting according to one's rational judgment.

There's a benevolent scene in the book, on page 19, that reminds me of a painting I've done of my two daughters wrestling playfully.

girls_white_bg_blog.jpg

Girls

Pastel

13½ x 10½"

I encourage you to delve into the world of Bill Bucko. You will come away with an experience showing that "Animus vinci non potest, nisi voluntarie." (Your spirit cannot be broken, unless you will it so.)