CICEROSC

Fountainhead Score CD from 2004

5 posts in this topic

Somehow I was not aware until this week of a CD released by the Brigham Young Film Music Archives of Max Steiner's original score of the Fountainhead movie.

It is 57 minutes long, and though I have not had time to listen to it, it looks to be a very good release.

I am particularly impressed by the packaging with lots of photos, and a sympathetic essay by someone named Glenn Alexander Magee, who is listed as writing a book on "Ayn Rand and Hollywood." I haven't read all the notes, and I do see he gives special thanks to Barbara Branden, so caveat emptor.

It appears this was issued in the fall of 2004 so maybe everyone has already heard of it, but in case others missed it like me, I thought I would post this.

I bought it off ebay but I see it is listed here: http://footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=31879

Somehow I was not aware until this week of a CD released by the Brigham Young Film Music Archives of Max Steiner's original score of the Fountainhead movie.

[...]

I bought it off ebay but I see it is listed here:  http://footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=31879

I bought one from eBay too where I paid $20 -- a little less than the web site price. It was well worth the money

You can hear a sample of the main title here.

Scroll down about a third of the page. It's quite typical of Steiner's lush, quasi-Romantic style film scoring. Apparently this disc has been "painstakingly restored from the composer's acetate discs, resulting in a dynamic, dramatic audio presentation". Straight from Steiner's own personal collection!

You can hear a sample of the main title here.

That's an interesting page on its own, with the elaborate CD covers for those other movies.

Now what we need is the CD of the full score of Love Letters!

Now what we need is the CD of the full score of Love Letters!

Victor Young wrote the beautiful scores for both "Love Letters" and "You Came Along." His work on "Love Letters" is absolutely haunting, running the gamut from passion and mystery, to wrenching drama, to wistfulness and tenderness. According to Richard Shale’s reference book Academy Awards, the score to “Love Letters” was nominated for two Academy Awards, but lost out to Miklos Rozsa’s “Spellbound” (best score) and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “It Might As Well Be Spring” (best song). Victor Young's best-known score is probably "Around the World in 80 Days."

The song "Love Letters" has been recorded by countless artists. In my own "Oldies" collection (1200+ titles from 1950-1968) I have recordings by Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Liberace, and Ketty Lester, who had a Top 10 hit with it in 1962. Elvis Presley had a Top 20 hit with it in 1966.