Betsy Speicher

Happy Birthday to Joss Delage

7 posts in this topic

A=A, I'm not bladesmithing. I did a little of it as a hobby, but I stopped several years ago. I never completed a single knife. I collect knives and a few of them can be seen here: http://jdelage.smugmug.com/Hobbies

John - it's getting scarry how well you know me. Bob Kramer lives pretty close from here, and I have been on his list for many years. I met him 4 - 5 years ago at a lunch organized by the owner of bladegallery.com to honor Yoshindo Yoshihara - one of the best Japanese swordsmith. I actually have a production verson of his santoku, but I'm afraid I'll never get a real one. I want a 10" chef *really bad*, but they have reached stratospheric prices in the secondary market.

John - it's getting scarry how well you know me. Bob Kramer lives pretty close from here, and I have been on his list for many years. I met him 4 - 5 years ago at a lunch organized by the owner of bladegallery.com to honor Yoshindo Yoshihara - one of the best Japanese swordsmith. I actually have a production verson of his santoku, but I'm afraid I'll never get a real one. I want a 10" chef *really bad*, but they have reached stratospheric prices in the secondary market.

I know all this . . . . (not really.)

Did you ever get a feel for the differences between his Damscus knives and his more conventional blades?

There's no difference material enough for 99% of the people to notice. His plain blades are made of 52100, which is a steel which has potential for a much more refine grain than nearly any other steel. That should translate into a better blade, but this is not perceavable by most chefs I think. The damascus looks prettier, each piece is completely unique, and stains are less visible. The main difference is going to be appearance and price.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting