Betsy Speicher

Psycho-Epistemology 2

Rate This Lecture   1 vote

1. 1. Rate This Lecture

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Conrad's Review:

In lecture 1 Dr. Binswanger discusses “applied psycho-epistemology”: How to instruct in the creation and proper operation of the programs that control the sub conscious computer.

Does not discuss:

- Clinical Psycho-epistemology: How to correct wrong automizations in order to correct psychological problems.

- Motor psycho-epistemology: how to better motor skills.

Dr. Binswanger also introduces a new concept “Raven Epistemology” Similar to the Crow, the new concept denotes the amount of units one can keep in context on a subconscious level.

Followed by a Q&A which, unfortunately, dealt with some basic questions that were already answered within the talk or ITOE.

This lecture starts as a summary of Psycho Epistemology 1 in order to introduce the context to the listener, then moves on to expand the discussion in more detail. Although mostly a summary, there are bits and pieces that are new and were interesting for me.

In Lecture 2 Dr. Binswanger discusses, in more detail, Mental Filing. He also makes the argument that speed matters when retrieving mental information. And that precise definitions are essential to psycho epistemological efficiency.

The Q&A in this lecture was much more interesting to me; it dealt with questions not already answered in the lecture or ITOE.

Overall I’m quite glad to have listened to this lecture. Dr. Binswanger does his usual high quality chewing with several laugh out loud moments. As for P-E 1, I consider this lecture series “desert” as opposed to “essential” Objectivist material. Students of psychology would do well to listen to this series.

Both P-E1 and P-E2, combined, do not explore the whole field of Psycho-Epistemology.

Thank you again Harry Binswanger

Did you find anything in this lecture that directly helped you with your daily life? I'm interested in hearing about any practical benefits you gained from it.

I did not find anything in these lectures that helped me in my daily life so far. To elaborate, this course defines some of the key operations we use in psycho-epistemology, but these operations I already use everyday. The difference is that Dr. Binswanger defines the various operations and shows how they are related. He turns something I knew mostly implicitly into something I know explicitly and chews it methodically. I say "so far" because I think knowing something explicitly opens the door to advance further in such topics.

To give an example: Dr. Binswanger talks about how tying emotions to ideas aides in remembering. I already had the evidence for this from all those heated debates I had in the past where I can remember a whole sequence of arguments given by both sides point for point, sometimes even word for word and compare that with those conversations I can barely remember where it was not heated; but I never realized it explicitly. Now that I look back, I realize the emotional experience was very helpful in remember old conversations. So this got me thinking about how I can use this as a strategy to improve my memory. I don't yet know how I can do it, but now it has got me thinking.

In the field of psychology I think this course would definitely be of benefit for anyone looking to advance the field because it names things explicitly.