Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell Cody

Pussy Riot - Putin/Russia's Breach Of Justice

8 posts in this topic

3 young women have been jailed for singing a song protesting Putin in Russia. This is a SICK breach of justice.

If you like Ayn Rand, if you believe that her ideas are right, and think the country she left should be getting better not worse, and ours too, in the USA, read the article below, and like the Facebook page below at the very least. Do more if you can.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-levine/pussy-riot-verdict-guilty_b_1798040.html

http://www.facebook.com/PutOutPutin

And tell people to vote Romney-Ryan.

Disgusting!

They did a vulgar flash-mob performance in a church... this was an "exercise of their right to peaceful protest and free expression" in the same sense as when the Occupy nihilists go uninvited to someone's restaurant and attempt to disrupt their business through protests. There is no principled rebellion or thoughtful resistance here. It's just an unruly and irrational counter-response to the irrational responses of their government. There are no heros here, it's just madness...

Is there an objective account anywhere of what they actually did? Was the church open to the public? Did they disrupt an organized program taking place? What are there own statements about what they stand for, what they did, and why? Can anyone translate this Russian language interview: Video?

This report says

The Russian court found Alekhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, and Ekaterina Samuzevich guilty of hooliganism and inciting religious hatred after a February stunt in which they sang the song "Mother of God Drive Putin Out!" inside a Russian Orthodox cathedral in Moscow.

The video of their 'performance' doesn't look like "hooliganism", and "inciting religous hatred" is irrelevant, yet the penalty is 7 years in prison. There doesn't seem to be any concept of connecting what they did to some actual crime and proportional punishment as oppposed to a 'political crime' of offending the establishment and Russian conservatives' social tastes. From the same article:

On Tuesday, Mikhail Fedotov, the chief of Putin's presidential council on human rights, called the verdict "an historic miscarriage of justice," according to the Intefax news agency.

However, while the Pussy Riot trial has been widely criticized outside of the country, according to surveys the majority of Russians agree with the court's decision.

"Our society is quite conservative in terms of respectful behavior and traditional values," said political scientist Jan Waslawski in the Nezavisimaya Gazeta newspaper.

The video of their 'performance' doesn't look like "hooliganism", and "inciting religous hatred" is irrelevant, yet the penalty is 7 years in prison.

I'm sure whatever they did doesn't justify 7 years in prison, if it justifies any punishment at all. But I also doubt it was a principled act of rebellion or disobedience in the same sense as Martin Luther's 95 Theses or the Boston Tea Party. It looks like madness responding to madness in a spiral of destruction.

There doesn't seem to be any concept of connecting what they did to some actual crime and proportional punishment as oppposed to a 'political crime' of offending the establishment and Russian conservatives' social tastes. From the same article:

I guess not much has changed in Russia...

Here's the video of the incident...

They are a feminist punk rock band. I think their political views are implied...

Their overall political views seem rather bad, from the little I gleaned from portions of their trial statements. But in the limited context of the act it was a political protest of the church's explicit endorsement of Putin and the desecularization of the Russian state (funding new churches, promoting anti-gay laws, etc.) as well as the suppression of dissent. It wasn't some juvenile attempt to interfere with or stop church service, but explicitly a political protest of serious political evils perpetrated by both the orthodox church and the Putin regime.

I'm sure their semi-martyrdom will give them an annoying, mistaken voice on other issues. But, I do find their actions, in the narrow context of the protest, to be heroic and inspiring, as well as calling a great deal of international attention to how horrible Putin's Russia is. I also personally like the symbolism of asking Mary to drive Putin out while protesting Russian state-church collaboration, having gone to a catholic school and the overriding reverence for and belief in Mother Mary, queen of all intercessors.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0