Stephen Speicher

24 (2001)

Rate this TV show   33 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

102 posts in this topic

Barring a few malevolent premises here and there, this show is extremely well-done. It manages to be understandable as a whole season and yet each episode is always exciting (not easy to do with a plot that spans 24 shows). Naturally the quality varies a bit from season to season, and not all of the sub-plots are equally compelling (his daughter Kim comes to mind here).

Since we missed out on it when it started, my wife and I ordered the DVDs from Netflix, and made sure we always had a full DVD on hand, because sometimes when we got started watching, we couldn't stop. :D

In the first season, at least, we were hard-pressed to say whom we liked more: Jack or David Palmer (the presidential candidate). David was a model of rationality, but not in that emotion-free Mr. Spock way. The process of his coming to grips with his wife's irrationality was beautifully concretized. (Unfortunately, they "humanized" him significantly in the second and third seasons--and Jack too, to some extent.)

It's definitely our current favorite TV show. We have the entire Day 4 queued up on Tivo for the next free weekend or so. :D

This show is so overwhelmingly good that it seems like it would be slander to quibble over any small flaws. So I'll just leave it at that. It's a 10, and the best show on TV.

I think the only show that I've enjoyed more was Rod Serling's Twilight Zone.

This show is so overwhelmingly good that it seems like it would be slander to quibble over any small flaws.  So I'll just leave it at that.  It's a 10, and the best show on TV.

I think the only show that I've enjoyed more was Rod Serling's Twilight Zone.

I concur. I also gave it a 10. An incredibly well written and explosive show.

There was a marathon of this on Sunday on A&E that lasted until Tuesday. On Sunday I was hooked by the first show. Again, I'm surprised and ashamed that I missed something so good for so long. The story line was the one about the terrorist plot to meltdown all the nuclear reactors. I managed to watch until they are very close to finding the override.

I'll just say that the suspense is unbelievable. The feeling I got watching it was "I don't deserve watching this show because it is just too good ... How is it possible that in our world today, this is allowed to make money?"

So what season was that story line I described? Wow, 2001!

Jose Gainza.

Hey,

I didn't vote because I've only seen a few episodes, but I wasn't very impressed. The acting and dialogue seems stilted and cheesy (a la Alias). I didn't feel excitement or suspense, it was more like someone was trying a little too hard and too obviously to incite these emotions in me. Maybe I should give it more of a chance, that was just my first impression.

--Dan Edge

So what season was that story line I described?  Wow, 2001!.

No, the story you described is from season 4, the 2005 season. Perhaps the best written of all the seasons.

Between 24 and Alias my excitement quota is filled. Two great shows.

No, the story you described is from season 4, the 2005 season. Perhaps the best written of all the seasons.

Between 24 and Alias my excitement quota is filled. Two great shows.

Thanks, for the information. When I remarked "2001" I meant that it has been around for 4 years and I just got around to looking closely at it.

Now I guess I got to check out Alias.

Jose.

Hey,

I didn't vote because I've only seen a few episodes, but I wasn't very impressed.  The acting and dialogue seems stilted and cheesy (a la Alias).  I didn't feel excitement or suspense, it was more like someone was trying a little too hard and too obviously to incite these emotions in me.  Maybe I should give it more of a chance, that was just my first impression.

--Dan Edge

Actually, my first attempt to watch the show was a while back. It was a dark scene, Jack Bauer, has a machine gun, and there is shooting. I couldn't watch past this; it just didn't grab me.

But the fourth season that I was fortunate enough to watch on A&E, starts of very interesting, to say the least. Jack Bauer tells the secretary of Defense's daughter that he loves her, while they are riding in a limousine and motorcade to her brother's house. The Secretary hopes to convince his son not to speak at a rally that would embarass him. Jack Bauer realizes that something is to happen at a certain time, the exact time that the secretary is to be at his son's house, and he calls his girl to warn her. Then, a missile blows up a limousine and the two people are kidnappped. As the story progesses, one learns slowly about the magnitude of the terrorist plot.

But one thing that kept me watching were the characters. The most noteable was the conflicted terrorist boy, who was in conflict between his family's mission and his love for a girl (that represents his adoption of American values).

I realized that it will be hard to watch the show week by week. So I would have to buy the DVD's. The interim between weekly episodes culminating in two months--that I managed to watch in one day--would have been unbearable had I watched the regular programming. The story line and my curiosity was that exciting.

Jose Gainza.

24 is one of my favorite shows, though the end of the most recent season was very frustratingly injust. I wanted to have the President tell the Chinese that their lack of cooperation handing over a man responsible for helping terrorists make a nuke to attack the U.S. was an act of war, then openly extracting him from the Chinese embassy, by force majeure, without any pretense - rather than hanging Jack Bauer and his team out to dry in the name of fear of Chinese retaliation and face-saving exercises.

Peripherally, I have to say I love TiVo (digital video recorder), which I use to record this show and a number of others. It's radically superior to videotaping and lets me easily watch shows (and skip time wasting ads) on my own schedule.

24 is one of my favorite shows, though the end of the most recent season was very frustratingly injust. I wanted to have the President tell the Chinese that their lack of cooperation handing over a man responsible for helping terrorists make a nuke to attack the U.S. was an act of war, then openly extracting him from the Chinese embassy, by force majeure, without any pretense - rather than hanging Jack Bauer and his team out to dry in the name of fear of Chinese retaliation and face-saving exercises.

Interestingly, the end of season 4 illustrates, perhaps implicitly, how strong a character Jack Bauer is that HE NEVER BACKS DOWN. One of my favorite scenes in season 3, though it's grisly, is when Jack shoots and kills Nina Myers point blank when he realizes she is no longer of any use to him. It brings home the point that he allowed her to live for years only because she could provide useful information. That scene made me gasp and then cheer.

Yes, in an ideal romantic world, the government portrayed in 24 would not capitulate to the Chinese or any other thug nation. Thank God we have Jack.

Yes, in an ideal romantic world, the government portrayed in 24 would not capitulate to the Chinese or any other thug nation. Thank God we have Jack.

Yes, he's really the essence of the show. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next season. My guess is that either the weak stand-in President, or a recovered President, realizes that they're up the creek without Jack and figure out a way to bring him back. Or another possible plot device is having Jack work behind the scenes without official recognition but with discreet assistance from CTU.

I won't include any spoilers in this post, but all I can say is the creators of "24" have done it again this season. I spent Monday and Tuesday riveted to the TV. It's difficult to recall a TV program that consistently keeps me excited and wanting more, but this one has done it year in and year out. Despite a few bad premises and plot devices now and again (the amnesia plotline in season 1 comes to mind), this is a nearly perfect show.

Just when you think they've outdone themselves, they outdo themselves! Wow!

24 remains one of my favorite shows. I was dismayed at my TiVo though - because of a #$&^ football game it clipped the last 10 minutes or so of the first 2 hours. They should program it to check for time updates if such games are scheduled in case they run over. (Or just clip the game :o )

It is difficult to describe the ingenuity behind 24. You really have to see it to believe it.

I agree with Jason: the universe portrayed there is malevolent in places. I think this is necessarily so, as it's an "emergency" universe.

Although Season 3 is the only one with a (clear) plot, each season has its strengths: Season 1 chronicles the realization of a hero's potential, showing what he does, rather than just telling us who he is. Season 2 is a solid follow-up to the first, with larger-than-life characters and larger-than-life issues. Season 3 defeats its predecessors with a solid plot and a presentation of value-devotion worthy of the highest Romantic Realism.

Season 4 is a drawn-out, marvellously-written superthriller which showcases Jack's personal (professional) growth by focusing on his military genius and superlative administrative skills: he single-handedly revives a CTU in paralysis, and proceeds to run it from the field while defeating a very sharp villain, in spite of handicaps far more serious than he'd been presented with in the past. This is where, if you did not know your soul before, it stands naked, revealed. If you had watched the previous seasons and, in the final minutes of this one, you don't want to rush into your TV screen and swear your life to Jack's defense, you might be a monster.

Season 5 has gotten off to a great start; given the threats presented thus far in the series, it will take some serious imagination to do better. I can't wait for Monday night.

I only started watching 24 in the beginning of season 4, but became addicted quickly. Jack Bauer is definately one of the few really admirable heroes on television.

I also can't ever recall Jack talking about him making sacrifices. He realizes what he is doing is in his own interests, as he is the man most capable of protecting America, and therefore himself, from terrorist threats. He's not set on selfless service to his country, he realizes it's either he captures and kills the terrorists or they kill him.

The first two episodes of this season were just as riveting and I can't wait to see what Jack will do next.

I won't include any spoilers in this post, but all I can say is the creators of "24" have done it again this season....

I just finished watching the first four episodes and so far I would agree; another exciting, clever, well-acted, and endless array of brilliant plot-twists ushering in the new season. I look forward to twenty more of the same. :o

I just finished watching the first four episodes and so far I would agree; another exciting, clever, well-acted, and endless array of brilliant plot-twists ushering in the new season. I look forward to twenty more of the same.  :o

And may I also say that the addition of Designing Women's Jean Smart to the cast was a fantastic idea. She has an innocent look about her, but there's also intelligence in her eyes. She appears to be the opposite of Sherry Palmer, in fact. I suppose it's too early to tell, though!

Well, after having read those, I've rented the first 2 disks of season 1, and I must say I'm caught. I don't have enough perspective to vote yet (and from the 8 episodes I've seen so far, I still put 24 behind Firefly and West Wing), but I know I'm going to through the 4 seasons in a few weeks.

So Nina Meyers' a baddy, he? :o Can't wait to see more.

I watched all of the fourth season but have just started renting season 1 and have watched the first 20 episodes and it is even better watching them straight through without commericials or waitiing a week.

I can't wait to watch the rest of the seasons and the next episode of season five.

So yesterday, I watched the penultimate disk of season 2. I was exhausted (I got up at 5am to finish a project), and yet I couldn't resist watching the last disk. Great show.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

My favorite scene is when Jack tells his daughter over the phone to shoot Madison in the chest, and then shoot him again. I thought that was a unique drama device and a great way to pack a lot of info about him in just a couple minutes.

I think the writers did a good job with the Jack Bauer / David Palmer contrast. Both have complete integrity and confidence in their action, but one is the darker, more secret, more physically dangerous version of the other.

I like the fact thats secondary characters are given some background, and I like some of the subplots. I do think that his daughter is a bit omnipresent. I liked the subplot about George Mason in Season 2.

I'm reading on Wikipedia that the actors who play George Mason and Nina Meyers got married after having met during season 1...

One of the good outcomes of 24 becoming more and more popular is the writers and producers have figured out how to cut their losses in recent seasons (with the latest, season 5, being no exception so far).

One of the major problems in seasons 2 and 3, in my view, was the inclusion of subplots that weren't directly (or even indirectly) linked to the main plot. So, in season 2, Kim's subplot was the Matheson family and later the cougar in the woods, etc. Though I wasn't bored by it, and genuinely cared for Kim, it really had no place in the main drama of the season, which was the thwarting of a nuclear attack.

Notice that in season 1, Kim (and her mother) WERE part of the main story line and it worked better.

In season 3, in an effort to bring back Sherry Palmer (which I still enjoyed, of course), the writers came up with a subplot that didn't have anything to do with the main plot. It was more satisfying than the "cougar" subplot (as I call it), but it still seemed extraneous.

By season 4, the writers and producers had fully realized that the strength of the show WAS the main story line and rightfully tied together all the threads. Personally I thought season 4 was the strongest for this reason. Not to mention Shoreh Aghdashloo's portrayal of Dina Araz, the terrorist mother, was spot on.

Now, in season 5, the 24 team has a well oiled machine, so to speak, so they know what is important to keep the action moving forward, AND they've added new characters with lots of potential (I mentioned Jean Smart in a previous post), as well as increased the inclusion of characters introduced last season, like President Logan.

My hope in the long run is the show continues in its current approach, but only until such time that the premise works well. Seven or eight excellent seasons is far better than 12 that get progressively weaker over the years.

So I'm watching the extra material from Season 2, and the actor who plays Pdt Palmer says that he's paterned his persona based on (you might want to sit down at this point) Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Colin Powell. Unbelievable...

Logan is a sure fire Nixon...dodgy and opportunistic - and look at the forehead/jowl combo! The President I took issue with least was Keeler.