Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joss Delage

Where to see lots of pics of the Paris car show?

8 posts in this topic

I don't really follow cars so I doin't have a list of go-to sources. Where am I most likely to find plenty of photo coverage of the Paris car show?

Thanks,

Joss

Thanks. Love the Panamera Sport Turismo, and the design of the SLS. Not too keen on the F-type so far.

I'm not a big fan of the Porsche Panamera's looks - does every Porsche have to look like a 911, no matter its size and function? - but it does have the sort of highway presence that gets slower cars to move out of the left lane. The Sport Turismo is a much better looking vehicle to my eyes.

The SLS Roadster is the one for me, as (i), the SLS coupe is a bit too retro to my eyes, (ii), the gullwing doors are more gimmick/nostalgic than innovative solution (the original MB gullwing doors were necessitated by the high sills of the 300's platform, an evil that's still with us on chassis with high torsional stiffness.)

The original, of course, is one of the most beautiful and important cars of all time:

1955-Mercedes-Benz-300SL-Gullwing-Coupe1.jpg

1955-mercedes-benz-300sl-gullwing-coupe-chassis-no-5500429.jpg

651843_1168687_4252_3189_W198Gullwing_Top.jpg

300sl_gullwing-1.jpg

55-Mercedes-Benz-300SL-Gullwing_05.jpg

The star of the show, IMHO, is the odd looking McLaren P1, the masterpiece in progress that's meant to be seen as the successor to the legendary McLaren F1 road car. What makes the P1 important is that it incorporates every aerodynamic trick in the book, creating an incredible 1400lbs of downforce at just 125mph. (McLaren refused to get caught in the Fastest Car game with its latest hypercar. Instead, they looked at the world's fastest public roads and tracks and designed a street legal car that can reach maximum possible speed in those environments. That meant forced air induction, which is just about mandatory given new Emissions goals anyway, and, more importantly, focussing on downforce instead of headline grabbing hp numbers. )

With the rear wing up:

McLaren-P1-profile-wing-deployed-Paris-motor-show.jpg

McLaren-P1.jpg

8047035260_20425daa35_z.jpg

2014-mclaren-p1-photo-476961-s-986x603.jpg

What I don't like about the styling is that it seems to stress the biomorphic thing a bit too much (I'm all for analyzing and using shapes that have been honed by millions of years of evolution. I don't, however, see why this connection needs to be stressed past what function demands, and that's what seems to be going in on in a lot of cutting edge design right now.)

PS The SLS has one of the greatest large displacement engines of all time, the legendary 6.3, tuned to its highest output in a road car (the engine actually displaces 6.2 liters, but MB felt that 6.2 sounded better. How much better? They labeled the new 5.5 liter, twin turbo V8 that replaced the legend, "6.3")

Yes, the 300SL is a jewel. I'm a sucker for those cars with a long nose....

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0