Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell Cody

22 mile supersonic skydive happens tomorrow, Tuesday morning.

28 posts in this topic

The view of the earth as a large ball in the distance helps to concretize what it means to be hanging in the air 23 miles up, in the upper part of the stratosphere and 3 times higher than the upper range of most commercial airliners (and around 35% higher than the highest flying jets).

Congratulations Felix Baumgartner! What an attainment for a man of the mind and a man of action!

You inspire us to do great things, and fight for a free nation and world!

What really got to me was what Felix said before taking a jump that could have killed him. He said: I wish all of your could see what I see.

That indicates a grandeur and largeness of spirit that one rarely encounters this days.

Thank you Felix. You brought a tear to my eye and you made me super proud of you.

ruveyn

Not to diminish Felix's accomplishment (or the joy most of us seem to have taken from it) but didn't he also say something along the lines of

"sometimes you have to go really high to realize how small you are" ?

There's something about that, that bothers me and personally I think I could have done with out hearing that kind of setiment in the midst of what was otherwise one hell of a tribute to the human spirit and the greatness and grandeur of what's possible to man.

Not to diminish Felix's accomplishment (or the joy most of us seem to have taken from it) but didn't he also say something along the lines of

There's something about that, that bothers me and personally I think I could have done with out hearing that kind of setiment in the midst of what was otherwise one hell of a tribute to the human spirit and the greatness and grandeur of what's possible to man.

Becoming aware of the vastness of the world and cosmos is perfectly sane and reasonable. We are small in the grand cosmic scheme of things. However we can take pride in the fact that small things like us can comprehend the grandeur of the cosmos.

A humility based on a truthful and objective estimation of what we are is certainly no vice or defect. It is truth in action.

ruveyn

It depends on what he meant by it. "Small" can be a measurement or it can be an evaluation. That kind of phrase is often used to diminish the importance of the individual human being. The "humanity is small" evaluation is so widespread today that hearing it in any form is enough to make you wary whatever he meant. It is not consistent with the rest of his statements and actions, and he also in the same statement emphasized "you have to go really high", but you never know what otherwise good people are morally intimidated into saying and believing under that kind of "man is small" cultural influence. You would have to look further to discover what he intended, but being wary is understandable.

A humility based on a truthful and objective estimation of what we are is certainly no vice or defect. It is truth in action.

Context has to play a part, though. Picking Existence as the context is silly. Set him in the human context, though, the context that matters, and he never utters such a thing.

You're right. He was, standing 24 miles up, preaching the bromides of the man haters - that man is small compared to the earth, solar system, etc.. His giant spirit and ability was being negated by his words.

Armstrong's words on the moon were good, not tripe like that: That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. Which says something of grandeur, not self-effacing.

It depends on what he meant by it. "Small" can be a measurement or it can be an evaluation. That kind of phrase is often used to diminish the importance of the individual human being. The "humanity is small" evaluation is so widespread today that hearing it in any form is enough to make you wary whatever he meant. It is not consistent with the rest of his statements and actions, and he also in the same statement emphasized "you have to go really high", but you never know what otherwise good people are morally intimidated into saying and believing under that kind of "man is small" cultural influence. You would have to look further to discover what he intended, but being wary is understandable.

ewv,

Thank you, that was what I was trying to get at. And you're right in that unless you would get to know Felix better on a personal level (and there by get a better grasp on his over all view of existence) it wouldn't be correct to judge him to severly over this. After all it could just be an "innocent error of knowledge" on his part that led him to phrase it the way he did.

One thing I can say in Felix's defense regarding this matter is that at least he didn't do a "Tebow" when he landed or have any Bible verse references on his suit or helmet. If I would have seen any of that I'm afraid it would have worked to cause me to judge what he said (and him personally) quite a bit more severly.

And to help with context I'd like to know at just what point he said that. Was it on the ride up, right before he jumped or at a press conference (before or after)? If any one knows at what point in the proceedings that got said please let me know.

The concept "humility" has two components. The first is the appraisal that I am worthless. The other is that this is a moral good.

If the quote above read: "An appraisal of one's own worthlessness based on a truthful and objective estimation of what we are is certainly no vice or defect. It is truth in action." then I would agree with it. But the corollary is that I would find such a state to be intolerable. The idea that I am worthless would be repugnant to me. I would expend every effort to achieve self worth.

There are three entries on humility in "The Ayn Rand Lexicon". Here's a part of one of the entries. It is from Galt's speech.

"Discard the protective rags of that vice which you call a virtue: humility - learn to value yourself, which means: to fight for your happiness" - and when you learn that pride is the sum of all virtues, you will learn to live like a man."

The concept "humility" has two components. The first is the appraisal that I am worthless. The other is that this is a moral good.

If the quote above read: "An appraisal of one's own worthlessness based on a truthful and objective estimation of what we are is certainly no vice or defect. It is truth in action." then I would agree with it. But the corollary is that I would find such a state to be intolerable. The idea that I am worthless would be repugnant to me. I would expend every effort to achieve self worth.

There are three entries on humility in "The Ayn Rand Lexicon". Here's a part of one of the entries. It is from Galt's speech.

"Discard the protective rags of that vice which you call a virtue: humility - learn to value yourself, which means: to fight for your happiness" - and when you learn that pride is the sum of all virtues, you will learn to live like a man."

What do you call a reluctance to think that one is more than he/she actually is?

ruveyn

What do you call a reluctance to think that one is more than he/she actually is?

Objectivity.

Objectivity.

I call it (the real) humility as in lacking pretense and cant. The other meaning is self abasement. But this is not the same thing. Having a true and right idea of what one is and what one can do or can not do. That is the real humility. Self honesty or honesty about one's self.

As Robert Burns once wrote "O Wad some Power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us"

ruveyn

Objectivity.

I call it (the real) humility as in lacking pretense and cant. The other meaning is self abasement. But this is not the same thing. Having a true and right idea of what one is and what one can do or can not do. That is the real humility. Self honesty or honesty about one's self.

As Robert Burns once wrote "O Wad some Power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us"

That is not the "real" meaning of humility. It's meaning is what you called the "other meaning".

Definition of humility

noun

a modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.

Origin:

Middle English: from Old French humilite, from Latin humilitas, from humilis (see humble)

Definition of humble

adjective (humbler, humblest)

1 having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance: he was humble about his stature as one of rock history's most influential guitarists (of an action or thought) offered with or affected by a modest estimate of one's own importance: my humble apologies

2 of low social, administrative, or political rank: she came from a humble, unprivileged background

(of a thing) of modest pretensions or dimensions: he built the business empire from humble beginnings

verb

[with object]

lower (someone) in dignity or importance: I knew he had humbled himself to ask for my help

decisively defeat (another team or competitor, typically one that was previously thought to be superior): he was humbled by his political opponents

Humility is contrasted with pride, as long established in the religious tradition. The conventional smearing of pride while promoting humility as a virtue relies on the same kind of false alternative as the conventional smearing of selfish in contrast to altruist. Both false alternatives are intended to obliterate from the language the rational meanings of self interest and pride, along with objectivity, which is being package-dealed with humility to destroy pride.

For Ayn Rand's view of humility see the Lexicon

Definition of humble

adjective (humbler, humblest)

1 having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance:

The modest view of one's self. No illusions, No pretense. No can't. That is not a low view at all. It is a true view.

ruveyn

If someone does something good and important it is not proper to have a "modest or low view" of it. The dishonest package deal calling that "no illusions" and "no pretense" is all your own, not part of the concept and not part of the Oxford dictionary. Your post is non-responsive.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0