Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell Cody

What did you think of the Atlas Shrugged Part II movie?

5 posts in this topic

I'm BOYCOTTING the movie (and recommend that everyone who values Ayn Rand do likewise), since its makers chose to make common cause with Objectivism's two worst enemies: self-admitted serial liar and sexual predator Nathaniel Branden and the unspeakable Barbara Branden, who has made a pathetic career of viciously smearing Miss Rand, becoming a real-life Lilian Rearden. [see the “bonus material” on the Part I DVDs.]

Do the makers of the film not get it that Lilian Rearden was a VILLAIN, not someone to be emulated??

So I’ll wait until used DVDs appear on Amazon and Ebay.

One man associated with the film, who appeared on Hannity yesterday (I believe it was the scriptwriter), hasn’t even learned how to pronounce Miss Rand’s name.

In Part I they threw out Miss Rand’s carefully-crafted dialog and substituted embarrassingly inferior soap-opera language. And cluelessly shuffled several plot events, to give away the story's secret far too early--thus spoiling the original's incredible sense of drama, suspense, mystery and intrigue.

I intend to see it Sunday. My local B&B theater has it, as do many others scattered throughout St. Louis. It's funny to hear the radio ads - pretty regularly - on several stations.

I happened to hear Hannity, last night, speaking w/ Fred Thomson (Sen, actor). Hannity is actually in A/S 2 - "they needed a loud mouth news guy" or something like that, he said.

The theater was packed and many of the audience knew each other. Laurel and I attended the first Friday night showing at a theater in Austin. Four cinemas are offering it; and we intended to go to an earlier screening on the south side. As it finally worked out, we went to a later showing on the north side. On the way in, I saw two people I knew from a group reading Dr. Leonard Peikoff's Understanding Objectivism. We each and all had some reservations, but generally, the movie received positive reviews; and generally it was judged better than Part I.

The character of Jeff Allen, played by Jeff Yagher was well-received. Yagher has a long string of credits, and is accomplished in several aspects of the craft, especially make-up. Read his IMDB biography here.

I liked it much better than the first one. I think this movie just showed a little better and seemed to cover the concepts a little better. Also, the acting was better. I enjoyed the first one, mainly because I'm a fan of Ayn Rand and the book. I think the third movie will be very good.

Bucko...If I refused to watch a movie because a scumbag or "sexual predador" was involved I'd not get to see any movies. Haha! I appreciate your ferver, however. I stopped watching Penn State football, for the rest of my life. I also can't listen to Michael Jackson any more.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0