JohnRgt

Even Sandy concedes to union power

11 posts in this topic

Apparently, out of state, non-union utility and power workers are being turned away in NJ and Long Island. This as millions of homes are dark.

My experience with trying to work along side, or a times supervise, union welders during the last 30+ years has for the most part been less than positive. Time and time again I've witnessed that pro union mentality try and get used as a rationalization to cover some serious personal short comings. Any more, if I hear people going on about their union politics I pretty much assume their going to end up being a "problem child" I'll have to deal with.

The US government turned away clean up help from foreign flagged ships during the Gulf oil spill.

Why?

They weren't manned by mariners that belonged to US unions.

They shoud have gotten the starving, freezing victims to run to stay warm and get free food.

The Marathon eats up a lot of police time as well as crucial supplies that are very scarce right now. Though the $350M media fee NYC was going to get is desperately needed the fact is that there's been looting, robbing and outbreaks of violence. Canceling the race was the right thing to do. (No one protested the run after 9/11 because infrastructure Tri-State wide wasn't decimated.)

A new arena just opened in Brooklyn. It will be the home of the Brooklyn Nets, formerly the New Jersey Nets, and the Brooklyn Islanders, formerly the Islanders. It was built on the already busy intersection of Flatbush and Atlantic avenues. One of the location's main selling points, and the way its developers got around valid protests by those who live in the area, was that it was serviced by nine subway lines, several bus lines and the LIRR.

Even though Sandy had decimated so much of this area the owners refused to reschedule the arena's first NBA game, scheduled to be played within days of the storm (NY Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets, BTW.)

The mayor stepped in and shut down the game. He pointed to the fact that what little police presence would be necessary to run the game was needed elsewhere, and that since mass transit was down, the car traffic would lead to all kinds of problems.

The marathon would take up far more police time and lead to even more traffic headaches.

Yes, canceling the marathon was Bloomberg's best idea of the week.