Darrell Cody

The bad guy won. The fight continues.

50 posts in this topic

"Imitate the action of the tiger..."

Any person capable of Reason is proselytizable. And most people are capable of more than a lot of Ayn Rand fans give them credit for. Let's not start classifying Hispanics as "far to the left", like some ethnicities are born like that. Prejudice is dangerous.

Aim for every person to understand the ideas in Atlas Shrugged. Starting with oneself.

RE Orca and other reasons Romeny may have messed up his campaign:

There is a lot of fingerpointing going around after the Romney loss. There always is, every election, on the side that lost. When the left does it after they lose, it's actually entertaining to watch them squirm, but they're just doing the same thing people on our side are doing right now: they won't come to grips with the idea that either their candidate sucks or the electorate just didn't see it their way.

Sure, ORCA sounds like a bad idea, but what REALLY happened? It's like what Elliot said in his blog post: If you have pneumonia, you don't say it's better when the cough goes away. The reason this election was lost was not because of ORCA, or because Romney did the wrong thing and ran a bad campaign. It was because the public simply doesn't see it the way we do (again, at least 50% of the 50% of the public that actually got off the couch doesn't see it our way).

Everyone complains and says we need better politicians. But that's not the problem. We need a better ELECTORATE.

So I agree with Dennis Miller, once again. Romney did well, he's a good man, and he deserves credit for what he did. I don't agree with all the cards he was holding, but if Romney can't beat Obama, there aren't very many people out there that could have.

HundredDollar, the Republican turnout was less this year than in 2004 and 2008:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/republican-turnout-in-2012-election-less-than-2008-and-2004/

This can't be explained purely in terms of a sudden shift in the public within a mere 8 years. Clearly Republican voters underperformed for some reason, whether it was for apathy or a poor "get out the vote" effort isn't clear.

In terms of the popular vote alone, this election was essentially a 50/50 split. The nation is divided...this isn't your usual division either, they are two opposite views of what the proper role of govt ought to be.

In terms of the popular vote alone, this election was essentially a 50/50 split. The nation is divided...this isn't your usual division either, they are two opposite views of what the proper role of govt ought to be.

I'm not sure I agree with that. That statements makes the assumption that everyone who voted for Obama thought the role of government to be one thing, and those that vote for Romney another.

I honestly think the problem is worse. I think that many that voted for Romney agree with many of the altruist nanny state principles that Obama espouses, just to a lesser degree, or they agree with Romney on religious principles so they vote GOP.

I, like so many others in this forum, still think the battle is worth fighting, but I think we need to understand that the problem is not only on the "liberal" side of the house. It's on the other side too. Until we fix the GOP side, we'll ALWAYS get "out altruisted." We need to fight the real battle, and it can be won, with reason. The easiest soldiers to enlist are going to be on the GOP side. They need to embrase the principles of Objectivism, and stop with the apologetic capitalism. They have to stand up for the morality of self.

I just had a hour long conversation with a good Nigerian immigrant friend who voted Obama. He's your typical liberal who thinks that most of those "1 percenters: are greedy and should be regulated. He's my friend on facebook, and also started martial arts because he sits by me at work and overhears me talking about it. We talk frequently about many things, and he brought up the politics this morning.

After a "Objectivism 101" discussion, He's downloading Atlas Shrugged. He fell in love with what he called "my term" rational selfishness. He comprehended the point that it is rationally selfish to be benevolent to people, and government intervention compounds the problem. He's not ready to say he voted wrong yet, but his veil is lifting. Reason is a very powerful weapon. We need to use it.

We can do this, and we must!

Carlos,

So let me try to summarize what you are saying: Romney lost the election more than Obama won the election, meaning Romney made tactical and procedural errors that cost him. You think ORCA and apathy, and/or a poor get out the vote effort caused Romney to lose.

If that summarizes it more or less, I have to say I disagree with you. This wasn't just a loss because of some technicality or some weird electronic scheme. Romney lost specifically because, as Erik and Elliot have pointed out, the electorate is full of uniformed people that simply don't understand the proper role of government or are willingly trying to democratically elect themselves benefits. To point to some superficial error by Romney is misdiagnosing the problem by quite a large margin.

Perhaps you are saying these superficial things occurred ALONG with an uniformed public, and I could see maybe that might be the case, but either way, these superficial things are not worth the effort even to understand fully, let alone try to fix.

Reading out the figures in a shrill, rapid voice, he proved to them in detail that they had more oats, more hay, more turnips than they had had in Jones's day, that they worked shorter hours, that their drinking water was of better quality, that they lived longer, that a larger proportion of their young ones survived infancy, and that they had more straw in their stalls and suffered less from fleas. The animals believed every word of it. Truth to tell, Jones and all he stood for had almost faded out of their memories. They knew that life nowadays was harsh and bare, that they were often hungry and often cold, and that they were usually working when they were not asleep. But doubtless it had been worse in the old days. They were glad to believe so -- George Orwell, Animal Farm.

I think Romney lost because (1) he was offering some free stuff but not as much as the other guy, and (2) social issues: abortion, immigration, gay rights, etc. I personally know moderate women and families with a mixed ethnic background who voted Obama purely based on the abortion & immigration stance of the GOP. Elections are won and lost at the margins.

Perhaps you are saying these superficial things occurred ALONG with an uniformed public, and I could see maybe that might be the case, but either way, these superficial things are not worth the effort even to understand fully, let alone try to fix.

There is nothing "superficial" about the get out the vote process. Simply having a good product is not a guarantee that it will sell; that's where advertising comes in. The Democrats know how to advertise, and they do so not by saying how good their product is, but by viciously smearing their competitor's products with binders big-bird and bull*%$t.

You could have an entire electorate of Eddy Willers, but if they have cartoonishly distorted presentations of the candidates delivered by the media then how does one expect them to make informed decisions.

Not to speak for either of you, but it sounds like you agree. :)

We have to fix our advertising.

Look, the stupid are going to vote stupid. It's that simple. You can't force a man to think. Those who won't are a lost cause. In my opinion, one of the problems with modern politics is that BOTH sides try to sway the stupid, and blindly assume that the rational have already made up their mind.

It's my very strong opinion that there are still enough rational people in this country that we can solve this problem. We need to target them. We need to have our own ground game. It sounds silly to put "Who is John Galt?" signs up all over, to give them a panhandlers $5 to hold one on the street corner all day, but I'm doing it. Those who can be swayed by reason will move our way, they just lack knowledge. On a rational being, curiosity is the doorway to knowledge, and "What the hell does that mean?" is a great segway to a google search, and google is a click away from a kindle download of Atlas Shrugged.

I've personally convinced 4 people to read the book this month. Even though the majority of them already voted GOP, they didn't have the intellectual ammunition to really sway other rational people who where more inclined to vote for Obama.

Maybe, just like Dagney Taggert, I'm fighting a lost cause but I'll be damned if I give up without a fight. I just want to fight in the most efficient way possible.

I like your approach Elliot.

I'm promoting the right answers on two fronts: to my 4700+ Facebook friends and from within the Republican Party. Next year I will be the Program Chairman for one of the most active Republican organizations in the country and I intend to have speakers from ARI, PJ Media, etc. In addition, I did a Q + A on Ayn Rand and Objectivism to my local Tea Party organization.

It's going to be critical for the Tea Party orgs to keep their congressmen feet to the fire in the next 2 years. Reps in congress need to be quite certain that they will loose their primaries if they raise taxes. The good news is that this is exactly what the Tea Party movement is good at. Obama's ambitions need to be nibbed in the bud early in his 2nd term, and the fiscal cliff "discussions" are the right place to do that.

Not as opposite as you suppose. Both sides agree that the Government should be the main engine of society. The Republicans want corporate losses socialized and their profits privatized. Both sides are Statist and proto-fascist.

ruveyn

The Republicans want corporate losses socialized and their profits privatized. Both sides are Statist and proto-fascist.

When Erik says the nation is divided he means the nation, not the establishment. (I don't agree that the majority civilian Republicans want corporate losses covered by government. I'm not even sure the majority of elected GOPers want that.)

Not to speak for either of you, but it sounds like you agree. :)

We have to fix our advertising.

Look, the stupid are going to vote stupid. It's that simple. You can't force a man to think. Those who won't are a lost cause. In my opinion, one of the problems with modern politics is that BOTH sides try to sway the stupid, and blindly assume that the rational have already made up their mind.

It's my very strong opinion that there are still enough rational people in this country that we can solve this problem. We need to target them. We need to have our own ground game. It sounds silly to put "Who is John Galt?" signs up all over, to give them a panhandlers $5 to hold one on the street corner all day, but I'm doing it. Those who can be swayed by reason will move our way, they just lack knowledge. On a rational being, curiosity is the doorway to knowledge, and "What the hell does that mean?" is a great segway to a google search, and google is a click away from a kindle download of Atlas Shrugged.

I've personally convinced 4 people to read the book this month. Even though the majority of them already voted GOP, they didn't have the intellectual ammunition to really sway other rational people who where more inclined to vote for Obama.

Maybe, just like Dagney Taggert, I'm fighting a lost cause but I'll be damned if I give up without a fight. I just want to fight in the most efficient way possible.

It's nowhere near a lost cause. Keep fighting. Keep doing what wins.

One thing that wins is embedding a permanent party presence in swing states.

Another would be getting off the social issues tirade, the abortion issue, etc.

Last, it would be nice if the GOP would have a clue how to discuss and defend freedom/Capitalism.

If the Republicans had a spokesman who was as articulate and sophisticated as the late William F. Buckley they would not be in the fix they are in now. The Republicans, once the dynamic anti-slavery party has become senile. It is owned by ignorant yokels and if it so continues, it is doomed.

The Republicans really need an outspoken philosopher or two. Even the Nazis were clever enough to hire a genuine philosopher, Heideger.

I have all but given up hope for the GOP. They have become brain dead and if they stay that way they will continue to lose until they become irrelevant.

ruveyn

It's nowhere near a lost cause. Keep fighting. Keep doing what wins.

What (demonstrably) wins?

ruveyn

See the post with which I started this thread.

Time for you to get active in the Tea Party, http://www.teapartypatriots.org/local/, to write articles, to talk to people, to do all you can, so that in 2016, we have the good guy win.

Fight hard.

Darrell Cody

This year the Tea Party (which was hijacked this election by Christian reactionaries and yokels) produced bupkus, nada, nothing. They lost big time.

ruveyn