mweiss

2016 Obama's America - Is O Psychologically Unfit for Office?

28 posts in this topic

Paul: I've never heard anyone, including those who fought in Vietnam, state that the U.S. "won" the war there. The communists *immediately* took over as soon as the U.S. left. They were not defeated. And since the whole thing was a proxy war for Russia anyway, you could make the further argument that since Russia was untouched, it was an even bigger defeat.

The "war in Iraq" qua deposing Hussein was simply idiotic. Some predicted years ago - including myself - that the net result would be to remove a major obstacle to Iran taking over and extending their sphere of influence even further, since Hussein served as a major threat and diversion to them. And that is exactly what is happening now. So yes, of course the U.S. military can win battles. But winning the war is a different issue, one that's decided at a higher political level, and that's even if a particular war makes any sense at all in the first place. I'm not talking about 50 or 100 years later, when you can argue about interim events after a victory. I'm talking about the direct sequence of events leading from the initial invasion of Iraq up until the time the U.S. essentially left and the current state of the country. Thousands of American troops were killed and maimed by IEDs within Iraq after the supposed victory there. And Afghanistan is still a pesthole filled with re-emerging Taliban.

The late John Lewis discussed the issues here: http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2006-winter/no-substitute-for-victory.asp

However, I am really repeating myself.

I haven't studied in detail the war's history but I've seen a couple of PBS shows that demonstrated the North was ready to surrender (I think it was after the Tet offensive or the heavy bombing of Hanoi). But the North discovered they could use the antiwar movement to its advantage. It was these people who brought down our almost victory.

Also, the North never won any major battles against us.