ruveyn ben yosef

"We" by Evgeny Zemyatin

4 posts in this topic

In 1921 Evgeny Zemyatin completed a novel entitled "We" about a future dystopian totalitarian State. The protagonist of this novel is named D-503. The Dystopian state is name OneState and every one lives in glass houses all the better to be observed by officers of OneState. There is a love triangle in this novel and D-503 eventually has a love affair that is Forbidden. The details of "We" are summarized in the wiki article at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel).

The novel was composed in Russian by Zemyatin, a Russian who later emigrated.

Now, my question. This is addressed to people who know some of the details of Ayn Rand's artistic endeavors. Did Ayn Rand ever read "We"? Recall that it was written in Russian early than her novel Anthem which was written in 1937. Is it possible that Rand borrowed some of Zemyatin's tropes? I am not implying plagerism here, so do not get upset with me.. We all borrow other people's ideas, at times, and rework them to fit our own views, needs and goals.

ruveyn

I'd be stunned if Miss Rand borrowed without acknowledgement.

I never implied that she did. But there are quite a few similarities between "We" and "Anthem". Also some significant differences. The world of "Anthem" was technologically backward where as OneState was advanced enough to build an interplanetary vessel. I was just curious if any one knew whether Ayn Rand had read any of Zemyatin's works.

ruveyn