Bert

Interest Graph

5 posts in this topic

This is a video of Marissa Mayer, the CEO of Yahoo, briefly touching on an interesting idea. I see one of the values of Facebook is being able to connect to people with similar interests. However, connections on Facebook are suggested and created primarily based on who you know and who you've met. Mayer suggests moving towards something where the connections are based more on similar interests -

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/mayer-social-graph-will-give-way-to-interest-graph-2e8xLDn8TBm9AastfGtvgg.html

I'm not sure exactly what Mayer has in mind but I like the idea of creating a platform that would be able to connect people who should connect because they have so much in common but just have not had a chance encounter yet.

Well, what about this Forum? I belong to the Pentax Forum as well because of a common interest. Many special interest forums exist already.

I was thinking the user base would be more general like Facebook or Google+ instead of being based on a specific interest as sites such as The Forum are. It's hard to say what it would be like - I guess I just liked the emphasis on making connections based on interest over, say, going to the same school.

So the vague impression I got from the 'interest graph' is similar to Facebook's 'Graph Search.' Its still in beta and not available to everyone but it shows being able to search for people based on their interest among many other things - pretty cool.