Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianB

You call that a benevolent sense of life?

5 posts in this topic

Now this is a benevloent sense of life!

Oh my! She is the spirit and image of my favorite grand-daughter Julia.

You are fortunate indeed to have such a blithe spirit in your life.

Oh my! She is the spirit and image of my favorite grand-daughter Julia.

You are fortunate indeed to have such a blithe spirit in your life.

One first must be a parent in order to get The Big Payoff, grandchildren. Grandchildren are a joy. All of the fun and hardly any of the scut work. That is the job of the grandchildren's parents. I have five. Two older (18 and 20) and three younger (10, 10, 6). They are a treat to be with and a joy to my life.

I've been discussing the video with others. One person, whose opinion I respect, raised a concern about Jessica's parting comment: "I can do anything good." She hypothesized that Jessica's self-confidence might be based on input from adults who are adherents of the so-called "self esteem movement". E.g., if Johnny says "2 + 2 = 5" the teacher says, "That's right!", for to do otherwise would hurt Johnny's self-esteem.

I have little insight into the mental processes of small children so I could not agree with nor refute this hypothesis. I decided to ask an expert.

I have a friend who is schooled in child psychology. She has also been a Montessori teach for decades. I asked her to tell me what she thought of the video. This is what she said:

"Just based on that video, I would say that is one happy little girl who feels as though she can not only do anything, but do it better than anyone! This feeling can only come about if she has had many opportunities to try and succeed at purposeful tasks that are important to her. I would love a school full of kids like that one!"

I would stress that my friend's evaluation was based on an impression from the video, and was not a full appraisal which could only be done in person and over time. Still, it makes me feel good to know that Jessica is most likely the self confident, happy, little girl that she appears to be.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0