Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ruveyn ben yosef

White Smoke above CERN

6 posts in this topic

White Smoke rose from the main building of CERN yesterday.

The Director of Cern announced: Habeum Boson - We have a boson

The Boson has taken on the name Higgs

ruveyn

Very funny. See ya later. Gotta split.

More likely it was a fire. Cern and just about everyone else now uses wireless electronics. Only the Vatican still relies on pre-wire smoke signals. At least they are digital: on or off. Is it true that they hired the stunt double for the smoke monster from Lost?

More likely it was a fire. Cern and just about everyone else now uses wireless electronics. Only the Vatican still relies on pre-wire smoke signals. At least they are digital: on or off. Is it true that they hired the stunt double for the smoke monster from Lost?

Your sense of irony is as fine tuned as it always is.

ruveyn

I am not a physicist. But, you know, everytime I read or hear about these new "discoveries" physicists keep coming out with I feel like somebody's trying to snow me. I suspect the physicists who made the "discovery" (I'm sure some strange particle was discovered, but I doubt whether its true nature has been discovered), and many scientists of all kinds who've read about it, are excited and relieved about this "Higgs-Boson"--excited, because its "news" they've been waiting for, and relieved because it's relationship to the "Big Bang" is one more "confirmation" of a universe that had a beginning. That would mean something coming from nothing, which is a contradiction.

And that's what they want: a universe where A is non-A.

I am not a physicist. But, you know, everytime I read or hear about these new "discoveries" physicists keep coming out with I feel like somebody's trying to snow me. I suspect the physicists who made the "discovery" (I'm sure some strange particle was discovered, but I doubt whether its true nature has been discovered), and many scientists of all kinds who've read about it, are excited and relieved about this "Higgs-Boson"--excited, because its "news" they've been waiting for, and relieved because it's relationship to the "Big Bang" is one more "confirmation" of a universe that had a beginning. That would mean something coming from nothing, which is a contradiction.

And that's what they want: a universe where A is non-A.

Check out the background articles in the refereed professional journals and pay absolutely no attention to reports of discovery in the press. The Journalist tend to be scientific illiterates and even beyond that they tend to be stupid and totally ignorant of history. Journalism is about Now. It is never about Then.

If you think the reports in the popular media "smell" a bit then you are properly cautious.

ruveyn

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0