Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Olivier_N

Tutoring Other Students in College

3 posts in this topic

Have any of you ever been hired by your respective universities to tutor your peers? If so, could you tell me what it was like? What did you enjoy, what did you dislike, and what (if anything) was challenging about it?

I interviewed for a position to tutor either accounting or economics, and I'm pretty sure they will hire me because I was recommended by two professors, and I got really good grades in both courses.

I am just curious to hear others' experiences with this kind of work.

Thanks in advance.

Not tutoring one on one, but grading papers for courses I was still taking in high school and which I hadn't taken yet in college, and teaching in graduate school which included one on one interaction in scheduled office hours. You get a lot out of reviewing material you are already familiar with as you go over the logical connections in a systematic way, reviving things you have forgotten or glossed over, coming up with explanations and insights for those with a different context of knowledge or difficulties, and seeing the success of getting people to understand as light bulbs go on.

Not tutoring one on one, but grading papers for courses I was still taking in high school and which I hadn't taken yet in college, and teaching in graduate school which included one on one interaction in scheduled office hours. You get a lot out of reviewing material you are already familiar with as you go over the logical connections in a systematic way, reviving things you have forgotten or glossed over, coming up with explanations and insights for those with a different context of knowledge or difficulties, and seeing the success of getting people to understand as light bulbs go on.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, one of the reasons I think it will be good is I will be able to review core concepts.

Also, I'm sure I'll get some satisfaction from helping people learn.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0