Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

AMG SLS Electric Drive (video, 18:45)

5 posts in this topic

Interesting tech, one day it will all be electric, I don't understand why we're spending a fortune on this stuff now instead of letting it develop through the market.

Interesting tech, one day it will all be electric, I don't understand why we're spending a fortune on this stuff now instead of letting it develop through the market.

As long as gasoline is relatively cheap the electric car will not compete very well in the market.

1. Electric cars are expensive.

2. We do not have a distribution system for charging or swapping out batteries located just about every where. On the other hand, just about every where you look there is a gas station.

Bottom line: at this juncture the only reasonable use for an all electric is for limited distance commuting.

It will be a long time before the market favors all electric autos.

It won't happen until gasoline becomes scarce.

ruveyn

I think it's all just waiting for a new generation or technology battery. Right now they are too heavy, expensive and limited in energy supply.

I think it's all just waiting for a new generation or technology battery. Right now they are too heavy, expensive and limited in energy supply.

I don't think all-electric automobiles will ever be practical in the foreseeable future.

To put the reason shortly: in a gasoline engine the design of the engine and the design of the fuel tank are completely independent, for the obvious reason that they are physically separate objects. It is a trivial matter to design a gas-guzzling high power engine but with a suitably scaled-up gas tank to allow for long use.

But this is not the case with a battery, because speaking metaphorically, in a battery the fuel tank is inside the "engine"; in other words, the place where energy is released by the transit of ions/charge is also the place where those charges are stored. Because of this, fundamental to the engineering of a Li-ion battery is a trade-off between power-density and energy-density. If you want high power then the internal dimensions of the battery need to be designed such that the Li ions have only a short distance to travel, but this necessarily reduces the total amount of energy that your battery can store.

When you layer on the complexities that come from high-cycling and high-power (irreversible loss of charge capacity, risk of fire, etc), there is just no way an all-electric automobile will ever be practical, maybe not even for the next 100 years. Sure by prolonged research they can be improved, but for a hell of a lot less effort much greater rewards can be reaped, and have been, by the progressive improvement of internal-combustion engines.

When I was investigating the purchase of a Nissan Leaf (not the same category, I realize), I was told by the dealer that the battery could loose as much as 20% of its capacity per year! I'm waiting to see what happens a couple years down the road for early adopters.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0