Abaco

I'm just in it for the money.

7 posts in this topic

I thought of my fellow 4aynrandfans members recently, and wondered how you would react. I recently proposed to do a presentation regarding a financial topic to a group of people. The "gatekeeper" denied me by saying, "Well, I'm afraid you might make money from it." Frankly, I'm stumped by that kind of attitude. We all have seen it in our society with comments like, "Oh, he's just in it for the money." I am starting to view people who say things like that as mentally disturbed (LOL). And, the context in my example was not one of a sales presentation.

I remember back to the days of my youth - late 60s and early 70s especially - when I would hear my aunts say things like "You can't eat money. You can't wear money." And, I assume that some sort of commie, Keynesian ideals gripped the public school system back in those times and really blinded a generation, and possibly the generation they raised.

Do you, in your work or personal lives, run into this attitude? And, how do you react? For me, the reaction is almost physical; stomach-turning.

People who say things like that are often the first to try to get your money -- like attacking you for "greed" when they want you to do something for them or give them something for free or a discount, or when you object to higher taxes that they advocate. "Every act of altruism has a beneficiary."

We can also add that the notion that someone is only saying what he does "for the money" may be true in the way of an unscrupulous salesman hyping something with exaggerations or falsehoods, which happens often enough, but to attribute that to everyone, including those who are expert in a field because they are an expert, is no better than self-exclusionary Marxian economic determinism, claiming that thoughts are determined by economic circumstances and not to be trusted, employed as an open substitute for the ad hominem argument and is obviously false and unjust.

So what's wrong with making money, hmm? if the facts presented are correct about the give product or idea, and the public benefits by being made so aware, that is good, and if the presenter/producer shows increase profits thereby, GOOD DEAL.

The attitude of criticizing someone else for doing something in their interest which does not harm themselves is so frustrating to encounter. Some people sincerely don't want others to succeed but I suspect others just get parts of this attitude by osmosis - especially in regards to the profit motive.

The attitude of criticizing someone else for doing something in their interest which does not harm themselves is so frustrating to encounter. Some people sincerely don't want others to succeed but I suspect others just get parts of this attitude by osmosis - especially in regards to the profit motive.

It has been drummed into their dear little heads that nobility lies in suffering, and one doesn't suffer if self interest has any say. It is their twisted moral code that leads them to say these things.

Clearly, by such depraved reasoning, the only accurate sources of information are from those that possess apathy and ignorance of the subject(and perhaps some mental disorder). But, how would you know for certain they are a well behaved dunce? You would have to use the evidence and reasoning of another disinterested party, not your own, to determine this. Now while this may lead to an infinite regress, it is a small price to pay for the purity of second-hand knowledge. At least that is what I have been told.