Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim A.

Immortality

6 posts in this topic

I just watched--for the first time in decades--the Twilight Zone episode called "Long Live Walter Jameson". I now consider it one of the best episodes in that series.

I read somewhere that Dr. Leonard Peikoff either wrote or spoke about this episode and the fact that it challenges the idea that immortality is desirable, or simply challenged the idea himself in one of his essays or lectures. Whatever the case, can anyone tell me where I can find his comments?

I've often thought that immortality would not necessarily be a good thing, especially if "immortality" means a guaranteed existence forever (obviously an absurd idea). And because of this, I've been wanting to ask someone who believes in Heaven--if I can do it tactfully, like a news reporter going undercover in order to interview a criminal (and record it sureptitiously)--what exactly that place--and that life--would be like. I think I asked a Christian once years ago, but got no specific details at all, only vague, "It's not like anything on earth"-type answers.

Of course, I love the Twilight Zone episode called, "A Nice Place to Visit", with a successful bank-robber who is killed in an accident and wakes up in a place where he can have anything he wants merely by asking an angel for it. After awhile, he finds there's no thrill, because there is no risk, challenge or danger. He tells his attending angel that maybe he'd rather be in the other place. The angel asks him, "Where do you think you are?"

I don't believe in an after-life, of course, but that's the way I figure Heaven must be: eternal boredom. No different from Hell.

And many people on this planet waste so much time in this life planning on and counting on such an after-life that before they realize they have no evidence of it they're practically dead already.

Since religious belief is essentially a form of primacy of consciousness, the concept of immortality is just a means of underlining the absolute power of wishful thinking.

Since religious belief is essentially a form of primacy of consciousness, the concept of immortality is just a means of underlining the absolute power of wishful thinking.

... which doesn't mean that they have any idea of what they think they are wishfully thinking for, only the hope that it is better than the hell on earth being imposed by their beliefs here. Much of it is entirely negative: a fear of the eternal hell they have been threatened with if they don't toe the line.

What if immortality, in the here and now, was genuinely possible? I came across Biotime which is

focused on the emerging field of regenerative medicine. Our core technologies center on novel stem cells capable of becoming all of the cell types in the human body. Products made from these “pluripotent” stem cells are being developed by our subsidiaries, each of which concentrates on different medical specialties, including: neuroscience, oncology, orthopedics, and blood and vascular diseases.

Brings a quote from "Young Frankenstein" to mind: "Hearts and kidneys are Tinkertoys. . . "

The Twilight Zone episode I mentioned answers the question, "What if immoratility...was genuinely possible?"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0