ewv

Ted Cruz filibuster read from Atlas Shrugged

8 posts in this topic

Starting around 4:15AM EDT (9/25/13)Sen. Ted Cruz said in his filibuster against funding Obama health control that Atlas Shrugged is one of his favorite books, enthusiastically urged everyone to go out and buy it, and read from Galt's speech emphasizing the section on "what is morality".

Pooja Gupta reported to the ARI Tea Party list:

Here is the CPAN video link to Sen Cruz's brave 21 hours endeavor: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/315212-2
Sen Cruz brought up Ayn Rand at least 3 times (If you know of more pl. let me know)
1) @13h57min onwards there were Ayn Rand quotes from Atlas Shrugged (twice within 30 mins)
2) @15h48m answering Sen Rubio's question: "Sen. Cruz, what did you do last night?"
Sen. Cruz answered: "I had a delightful night...I had a chance to read some Bastiat, some Ayn Rand and some tweets..."
3) @18h43mins there were more Ayn Rand quotes, this time from The Fountainhead

For reference, here are the details on the Atlas Shrugged quotes.

Sen Cruz started the segment on Atlas Shrugged at 4:13 AM (13:58 in the c-span video) :

We're a nation that was founded on liberty. Always defend liberty. You know you really can't go wrong with that as a motto. In the interest of that, I'd like to share a few excerpts from one of my favorite books, Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. Now let me encourage any of you who have not read Atlas Shrugged to go tomorrow, buy Atlas Shrugged and read it. What's interesting is in the last three years my understanding is that sales of Atlas Shrugged have exploded, because we are living in the days of Ayn Rand.

So I just want to share a few excerpts, that are all fundamentally about liberty and the liberty that Obamacare infringes.

He then read the full section on "productivity" from Galt's speech -- with a few interjections of his own on the current situation -- beginning with "Productiveness is your acceptance of morality, your recognition of the fact that you choose to live—that productive work is the process by which man's consciousness controls his existence, a constant process of acquiring knowledge and shaping matter to fit one's purpose, of translating an idea into physical form, of remaking the earth in the image of one's values —...".

At 14:01:40 he read the 'what is morality' passage (set in the diner after Dagny had jumped out of James Taggert's car when she discovered he had set her up to 'debate' Bertram Scudder on the topic "Is Rearden Metal a lethal product of greed").

What is morality, she asked? Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.

(Part I Chapter VII The Exploiters and The Exploited)

Within his own immediately subsequent comments on Obamacare he returned to and repeated that passage, with emphasis, three more times (~14:04, ~14:05:10, 14:06:55).

This much comprises the slightly less than 10 min segment that is in the c-span video clip excerpt "Sen. Cruz (R-TX) reads Atlas Shrugged" at http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/4465993.

About 15 minutes later at 4:27AM (14:12:49) he came back to Atlas Shrugged again with more excerpts.

The first was a Francisco D'Anconia statement to an interviewer in response to a Bertram Scudder article that had stated "Sacrifice is the cement which unites human bricks into the great edifice of society":

The nation which had once held the creed that greatness is achieved by production, is now told that it is achieved by squalor"...

(Part II Chapter V Account Overdrawn)

This was immediately followed at 14:13:00 by the closing passage in Galt's speech:

Fight for the value of your person. Fight for the virtue of your pride. Fight for the essence of that which is man: for his sovereign rational mind. Fight with the radiant certainty and the absolute rectitude of knowing that yours is the Morality of Life and that yours is the battle for any achievement, any value, any grandeur, any goodness, any joy that has ever existed on [this] earth.

Omitted was the leading sentence in that paragraph "But to win it requires your total dedication and a total break with the world of your past, with the doctrine that man is a sacrificial animal who exists for the pleasure of others", and the final sentence with Galt's oath.

Instead (14:13:22) he followed with (after a pause and looking up so it was clear he was no longer reading) "God has created men and women to be free creatures."

By 5:30 AM he was reading "stop this fatal tendency to plunder" in a segment from Bastiat's The Law. Before starting on Bastiat (at 15:03:20) he referred back to his reading from Ayn Rand again, stating that Bastiat was a much earlier writer.

It seems that the only piece of writing that one or two networks mentioned and showed Senator Cruz reading from was "Green Eggs and Ham", by Dr. Seuss. The purpose of that, of course, was to make it appear as if Cruz was just wasting everyone's time--the few that were present in the room--wasting his own time and didn't take his subject seriously. It may have also been used to "demonstrate" that Cruz is an idiot, when he clearly is not.

Fox News report: "Sen. Ted Cruz Pulls All-Nighter Over Obamacare, With Help From 'Duck Dynasty' & 'Dr. Seuss'"

"The mechanics of advancing the bill were overshadowed by Cruz's filibuster-like speech, which included a reading of Dr. Seuss' 'Green Eggs and Ham' to his daughters back home in Texas.

'When Americans tried it, they discovered they did not like green eggs and ham and they did not like Obamacare either,' Cruz said. 'They did not like Obamacare in a box, with a fox, in a house or with a mouse. It is not working.'"

I think they meant he was reading the Obamacare parody of Green Eggs and Ham. "I do not like this Uncle Sam. I do not like his health care plan. I do not like these dirty crooks Who lie and cheat and cook the books..." etc.