Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
non-contradictor

Hello All!

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody!

For those of you who don't know me:

My name is Tea. I'm fifteen and a sophomore in high school. I discovered Objectivism in seventh grade with Anthem; though my dad is an Objectivist, so you could say I was brought up with it. I just didn't know why we had a copy of Atlas Shrugged under our coffee table. B) Since then, I've read: We the Living, The Virtue of Selfishness, Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Return of the Primitive, The Ayn Rand Lexicon, and Philosophy:Who Needs It? in that order. Next on my list is either OPAR or ITOE. However, I don't have much time at the moment to be reading anything other than history books. I have to have a webpage on conservation, populism, temperance, and imperialism done in two weeks.:) We are studying the progressive movement right now, and it's fascinating, even if the progressives are irritating. I never knew the historical examples of people who wanted to *regulate* the railroads.:D

It's great to see a lot of familiar names on THE FORUM! Many thanks to the Speichers for their efforts in creating this forum. :o

~Tea :angry:

Hello Everybody!

For those of you who don't know me:

My name is Tea. I'm fifteen and a sophomore in high school. I discovered Objectivism in seventh grade with Anthem; though my dad is an Objectivist, so you could say I was brought up with it. I just didn't know why we had a copy of Atlas Shrugged under our coffee table. B) Since then, I've read: We the Living, The Virtue of Selfishness, Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Return of the Primitive, The Ayn Rand Lexicon, and Philosophy:Who Needs It? in that order. Next on my list is either OPAR or ITOE. However, I don't have much time at the moment to be reading anything other than history books. I have to have a webpage on conservation, populism, temperance, and imperialism done in two weeks.:) We are studying the progressive movement right now, and it's fascinating, even if the progressives are irritating. I never knew the historical examples of people who wanted to *regulate* the railroads.:o

It's great to see a lot of familiar names on THE FORUM! Many thanks to the Speichers for their efforts in creating this forum. :D

~Tea :angry:

Hi! Welcome to the forum and from basically the same people! :D So you're a second generation Objectivist, eh? It'd be interesting to do a study to find out what percentage of Objectivists are second generation. I would think it's rather small, given that Objectivism has been around for only about two generations since Atlas Shrugged was published.

Anyways, yes the period in US history at the turn of the 20th century is indeed fascinating. I believe Ayn Rand considered the early 1900's to be the major cultural turning point for America--for the worse. Beware of all the standard anti-capitalist arguments presented about this period. This was the period in time during which the the ICC, anti-trust laws, FDA, Federal Reserve, income tax, et al, were created, in order to "reign in" capitalism. T. Roosevelt, Taft, and Wilson were famed "trust-busters". Teachers and textbooks usually show pictures depicting the plight of people in the city slums and of children working in the factories . Did your teacher make you read a passage from The Jungle? :D I remember reading that in my US history when we were covering the same period. :D

The populists are the worst I have found so far. They advocated state ownership of railroads, an inflationary money policy (free silver), and a graduated income tax. :angry: We didn't have to read The Jungle though. My history class is pretty good. It's mainly centered around answering questions about the periods we are studying. So the teacher doesn't push any anti-capitalist crap, in my class at least... Our current question is to name two progressive movements that succeeded during their time (late 1800s to 1920) and two that failed. Then we have to outline two factors for each success or failure, draw a lesson from each factor, and give an example of a group today who could benefit from each lesson. This is all done a la Frontpage and viewed as a website.

Hi! I've seen your posts here and on the "other" website and your posts are usually right on for someone still early in their teens. OUt of curiousity how would one pronounce your name? Would it be like tee-AH or like tee like the drink or letter? I've just never saw that name before and wouldn't know the correct pronunciation just by reading it and I am therefore curious.

Hi! I've seen your posts here and on the "other" website and your posts are usually right on for someone still early in their teens. OUt of curiousity how would one pronounce your name? Would it be like tee-AH or like tee like the drink or letter? I've just never saw that name before and wouldn't know the correct pronunciation just by reading it and I am therefore curious.

Thank you for your compliments. Tea is a nickname. I liked the name Tia (tee-ah) and my friends call me tee. So I combined them. The fact that it can be read two different ways is intentional. But most people call me Tee like the drink.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0