Crimson Flyboy

Emergence

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure y'all have heard of spontaneous order, John Stossel did a fascinating show on this topic. Well, I got to thinking about this and the thought came to me that this theory could explain the ordering of the entire universe. Then, I found that someone had already thought of this and gave the theory a name. It is called the theory of emergence. Here is a video explaining it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/emergence.html

What do y'all think? Does this theory hold up to strict scrutiny?

The orderliness of the universe is completely explained by the Law of Identity.

Things are what they are and are not what they are not. Things can only do what they can do and cannot do what they cannot do. Organisms that can survive and reproduce in a given environment, survive and reproduce organisms like themselves, and those which can't, don't. As a result, living things evolve. Etc.

Is there anything about the orderliness of the universe which cannot be explained by the fact that the Law of Identity rules it?

I'm sure y'all have heard of spontaneous order, John Stossel did a fascinating show on this topic. Well, I got to thinking about this and the thought came to me that this theory could explain the ordering of the entire universe. Then, I found that someone had already thought of this and gave the theory a name. It is called the theory of emergence. Here is a video explaining it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/emergence.html

What do y'all think? Does this theory hold up to strict scrutiny?

I don't think the video is claiming that emergence results in the ordering in the universe. It clearly states that normal processes result in decay - lower entropy states. The video asks about process that result in groups of individuals, no where near the size of galaxies or solar systems for that matter.

The orderliness of the universe is completely explained by the Law of Identity.

Things are what they are and are not what they are not. Things can only do what they can do and cannot do what they cannot do. Organisms that can survive and reproduce in a given environment, survive and reproduce organisms like themselves, and those which can't, don't. As a result, living things evolve. Etc.

Is there anything about the orderliness of the universe which cannot be explained by the fact that the Law of Identity rules it?

In this regard I still have much to learn, could you explain how the universe is ordered by the law of identity? Doesn't this rule simply state that things are what they are?

In this regard I still have much to learn, could you explain how the universe is ordered by the law of identity? Doesn't this rule simply state that things are what they are?

Yes, it does, but for the universe to be DISorderly, things would have to be what they are not and fail to act in accordance to what they are.

Certainly the universe could not be disorderly, but there must be laws of nature that govern the orderliness of the universe.

Certainly the universe could not be disorderly, but there must be laws of nature that govern the orderliness of the universe.

Things don't follow disembodied laws of nature. The laws are the nature of existants themselves. An existent is it's properties, and acts accordingly.