Don Russell

It costs 1/2 million $ each to raise a kid properly in the US

6 posts in this topic

Public schools are funded by money taken at GUNPOINT (as are all tax monies) Doctors, nurses, etc, don't work for free, so there's no such thing as "free" medical care,etc. It's paid for by SOMEBODY. If you can't cough up 1/2 mill $ over the span of 25 years, you danged well shouldn't be having that kid. It's not doing right by the kid, and it's for sure an imposition on other people. The only way out of poverty is to stop REPEATING the cycle of inadequate stimulation, bad genes, inadequate housing, education, etc.

Govt's all over the world and for centuries, have TRIED taxing the better off in order to give money/goods to the poor, and it CAN'T be done (enough to really stop poverty) Poor people just have MORE kids whenever they get more "stuff";., or make other equally bad life decisions( gambling, dope, drink, extravagant housing, cars, clothing, etc).

I have only grossed over 20k for 1 year of my life, do don't think that I don't know poverty. I've spent 10k over the last 2 years, helping people in SE Asia. So don't think that I don't have compassion/empathy, either. But if you tax corporations or individuals too much, they just LEAVE your country, taking their money(and our jobs) with them. England found out this truth, the hard way, in the 70's. This rarely happens,tho, because the wealthy SEE TO IT that the gov't is in their control.

So you will never be able to inflate the currency, tax the rich, etc, enough to help the poor (enough to really matter). The only viable option is to (greatly) reduce the numbers of the poor by helping them not produce more people who also have no means of escaping poverty. When there is no longer an excess of workers/renters, etc, wages will go up and rents will come down. You have two choices with which to save this overburdened Earth,, decrease the birth rate or increase the death rate. Where does your vote go? Mother Nature WILL(eventually),create crop failures, pandemics, etc, to ease the burden that our species imposes upon our planet.

Offering young, childless women say, 5k each, to undergo a couple of injections and fingerprinting. is NOT the use of force. It is offering a reward. They should be free to not take it, but then neither they nor their children have any claim upon anyone else., No person has any valid, rational claim on any other person's time, thought, effort, or money, ever. We CAN reduce our population. we just have to find the will power to do so, and do it swiftly.

How about if we leave it up to parents to pay for THEIR OWN children and don't FORCE anyone to support someone else's children or someone else's birth control?

As for the alleged problem of overpopulation, see my recommendation of Julian Simon's The Ultimate Resource (here).

I saw it and it's silly on the face of it. You might as well say that lack of water doesn't cause dehydration. It's obvious that more people will use more resources. Now, you can argue that fewer people MAY well demand more resources, but it's not nearly as likely. Indeed, having more people DEFINITELY must increase the demands on the Earth. how could that not be the case? People exist without eating, drinking, eliminating wastes? 2 +2 does NOT =4, because you don't WANT it to =4?

I saw it and it's silly on the face of it. You might as well say that lack of water doesn't cause dehydration. It's obvious that more people will use more resources. Now, you can argue that fewer people MAY well demand more resources, but it's not nearly as likely. Indeed, having more people DEFINITELY must increase the demands on the Earth. how could that not be the case? People exist without eating, drinking, eliminating wastes? 2 +2 does NOT =4, because you don't WANT it to =4?

What you are overlooking is that the more people there are, the more is usefully created. Iron ore in a mountain is a physical resource of little use unless a human resource is applied. Without the intellectual resource of millions of humans, the iron will remain in a useless form. Better for humans that it is turned into bridges, computers and buildings. This planet is full of material available for the human intellect to put into useful form. The world doesn't shrink when this material is rearranged into more useful order. I assure you that without the human resource, you would not live as well as you do. We have the most people we have ever had on this planet, and we live better now than we ever have. What does that tell you?

As for the alleged problem of overpopulation, see my recommendation of Julian Simon's The Ultimate Resource (here).

If we accept a population density only slightly higher than today's Paris, we can fit everyone on the planet in the state of Texas.

There's no overpopulation. There's no depletion of resources -- especially given how shallow the deepest mines run when compared to the Earth's size. What there is is overregulation and the inherent smallness.

You saw what and what is "silly"? Sarcastic comments about a lack of water not causing dehydration and 2+2≠4 because you shout that someone "wants" it are irrelevant, rude, and not related to what anyone has said. You are impugning other people as being 'obviously' wrong "on the face of it", with no argument, no discussion, false analogies, and no understanding shown beyond common misanthropic slogans which you take as "obvious" -- all on a topic that has nothing to do with this thread and does not belong in it at all.