Paul's Here

How Free is Your State?

3 posts in this topic

As far as Michigan goes it looks about right to me. We have nominal Republican administration and legislatures, but taxes have gone up a lot and of new programs have been started. A major new burden on the health care system, requiring everyone to pay for the care of autistic children rolled through with no public dissent heard. Genuine autism is a terrible burden; how I would cope, I don't know. But' of course, now many facets, phases, levels and newly discovered related conditions really should be covered also and so the autism infrastructure is growing.

FAQ How do you define freedom?

We ground our conception of freedom on an individual rights framework. In our view, individuals should be allowed to dispose of their lives, liberties, and property as they see fit, so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. This understanding of freedom follows from the natural-rights liberal thought of John Locke, Immanuel Kant, and Robert Nozick, but it is also consistent with the rights-generating rule-utilitarianism of Herbert Spencer and others.

"Dispose of lives, liberties, and property" so long as it doesn't infringe on others "disposing of their lives, liberties, and property"? Locke, Kant, Nozick and "rule-utilitarianism" are interchangeable bases of freedom?

Whatever their arbitrary weights assigned to various factors which may or may not accidentally provide a basis for actual comparison between states, they sure don't understand freedom or where it comes from, and cannot defend it by this arbitrary mishmash.