Egervari

How does Rand's ethics apply correctly to psychopaths that actually seem to get away with evil, even in the long-term?

5 posts in this topic

I really enjoy Rand's work, but something that has been bothering me is how does Rand's ethics apply to a psychopath who seems to actually get away with evil, even in the long-term? I think with most people, especially non-psychopaths, Rand's ethics works out pretty well. Things like guilt, shame, regret, etc. are definitely not things that benefit one's rational self-interest, so committing evils that causes these emotions would not be a good thing to do for a non-psychopath.

So what of the psychopath? Yes, there's a dumb psycopaths that can't escape reality anyway. They do eventually get caught if they murder someone for example, and they can't escape what they've done just as the non-psychpath - they will have to behave differently as a result of the murder than they would otherwise, liking being on the run, constantly having to lie, and so on. I realize that most psychopaths still can't escape rand's ethics and show that she's still right.

But... how does that explain the psychopath who has no need to worry? This is not a straw man argument - at least I hope it's not - but there's seems to be people, however few, that to get away with a great amount of evil and they live well until the end of their days. Some of these people are the most well-connected and powerful in the political sphere, and they are basically untouchable. They figured seemed to really figure out how to avoid the negative consequences of reality.

Maybe this is a straw man after all - I can't really gleem into the mind of an evil, powerful, well-connected psychopath... maybe they have a whole lost of problems I am not aware of - but I just don't understand why so many powerful people don't have it coming to them, and they seem to have everything in life. It seems that by living an alternative to Rand's ethics - a drastically different one in fact - they have prospered anyway.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

But... how does that explain the psychopath who has no need to worry?

There's no such person.

What is distinctive about psychopaths is that they don't feel guilt, but they do feel fear -- a fear that's constant and unbearable. That's because they are at war with reality and with people who want to stop and punish them and a psychopath can never know if, when, or how they might be caught.

Did they leave clues at the scene of the crime? Will the people they defrauded press charges? It could happen at any time and the psychopath lives in constant fear that it could happen.

This is not a straw man argument - at least I hope it's not - but there's seems to be people, however few, that to get away with a great amount of evil and they live well until the end of their days.

Do they? Observe the way psychopaths abuse drugs and alcohol or engage in compulsive activities in a vain attempt to diminish the pain of the constant fear or distract themselves from thinking about it. Bernie Madoff reports that while he was "getting away with it" he didn't have a moment's peace or happiness and when he was caught, it was a relief.

Some of these people are the most well-connected and powerful in the political sphere, and they are basically untouchable. They figured seemed to really figure out how to avoid the negative consequences of reality.

Maybe they have avoided the external consequences of what they did, but there's no way of avoiding the horrible psychological consequences.

Yeah, that's exactly it - I guess I'm just not aware of the fear that they experience. I mean, these people seem to be so brazzen with their actions, as if they know they won't ever get caught - like ever. It really seems like they don't feel fear of their actions. But, I can't possibly know what they feel.

I know Rand's ethics isn't the same as karma, but I do wish these people had it coming to them in the external world too. I wish Bush was actually hit the shoe for example, lol.

But on a more serious note, nothing happened to Cheney for example. Maybe I should Cheney more, but seems to be pretty unscathed from everything he did.

But on a more serious note, nothing happened to Cheney for example. Maybe I should Cheney more, but seems to be pretty unscathed from everything he did.

Why do you dislike Cheney so much?