B. Royce

30th St. Station

2 posts in this topic

I have been back in Philadelphia for a few days, now, and boy, does the 30th Street Station look old and heavy. I used to regard it as strong and somewhat noble, but the bold, beautiful, and light-uplifting new skyscraper next to it now has entirely changed my point of view. I don't even know the name of it yet, but it is really a great addition to the city. It's great to be back!

I have been back in Philadelphia for a few days, now, and boy, does the 30th Street Station look old and heavy.  I used to regard it as strong and somewhat noble, but the bold, beautiful, and light-uplifting new skyscraper next to it now has entirely changed my point of view.  I don't even know the name of it yet, but it is really a great addition to the city.  It's great to be back!

It's so nice to know they HAVE skyscrapers in Philly now.

When I was growing up there, John B. Kelly (father of Princess Grace of Monaco) owned the largest brick works on the East Coast -- and the city government. As a result, it was considered "unsafe" to build any thing that wasn't primarily brick and it was illegal to build anything taller than Billy Penn's hat on the top of City Hall.