EthanK

Musings on some of the cars I enjoy

48 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone here enjoys cars as much as I do? Feel free to name more then one, like I have done.

:) The Mclaren F1, which when the 1997 edition was released it was the fastest production car in the world with a top speed of 240 mph.

:) The Ferrari Enzo which now cost about 1.2 million dollars with a top speed of 218 mph.

:) The Ford GT which came out this year and has a 550 hp engine, costing around $140,000 with a top speed of 205 mph.

:) The Lamborghini Murcielago which has 580 hp and cost around $300,000, with a top speed of 205 mph.

B) Then there is the fastest production car in the world the Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron with 1001 hp. Costing around $1.7 million. It has a top speed of 254 mph and goes from 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds. It also has a W-16 engine. As of now this is my favorite car.

P.S. I have never driven any of these cars because I'm only 13, but I will one day!

I would love to have a Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG, it has a 5.5 liter supercharged V-8 engine with an astonishing 469 hp. Only room for 4 though, so someone will have to sit on a lap.

My favorite car since I was a kid, is the Chevy Corvette, and the new ones are amazing with the newly upgraded 500 hp engine.

But, I should get busy if I am to produce enough wealth to purchase these cars and Ethan's choices also! HA HA! B)

I was wondering if anyone here enjoys cars as much as I do?  Feel free to name more then one, like I have done. 

:) The Mclaren F1, which when the 1997 edition was released it was the fastest production car in the world with a top speed of 240 mph. 

:) The Ferrari Enzo which now cost about 1.2 million dollars with a top speed of 218 mph. 

:) The Ford GT which came out this year and has a 550 hp engine, costing around $140,000 with a top speed of 205 mph.

:) The Lamborghini Murcielago which has 580 hp and cost around $300,000, with a top speed of 205 mph.

B)  Then there is the fastest production car in the world the Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron with 1001 hp. Costing around $1.7 million.  It has a top speed of 254 mph and goes from 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds.  It also has a W-16 engine.  As of  now this is my favorite car.

Hmm. I get the impression you might like speed. :D

Don't forget the the Ferrari F40 and F50. They are supercars, basically street-legal race cars. Beautiful technology. Zero to sixty in 3.8 seconds. Not too shabby.

A Maserati dealer recently opened up nearby. He keeps the Maseratis outside on the lot, and inside the showroom are the real goodies. A 1989 yellow Ferrari Testarossa with 4000 miles on it. Looks as clean and perfect as the day it came off the factory floor. A whole array of traditional Ferraris, a silver Porsche Carrera GT ( a truly beautiful car), a few Lamborghinis sprinkled about, and an F40 and an F50 on the same floor! It is rare enough to see either one of these supercars, but two together is spectacular.

P.S. I have never driven any of these cars because I'm only 13, but I will one day!

I'll bet you will!

I would love to have a Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG, it has a 5.5 liter supercharged V-8 engine with an astonishing 469 hp.  Only room for 4 though, so someone will have to sit on a lap.

A nice car, but not really a sports car look. Good straight-line performance, but not exotic.

My favorite car since I was a kid, is the Chevy Corvette, and the new ones are amazing with the newly upgraded 500 hp engine.

My new "velocity yellow" convertible is finally coming. Hopefully next month. It has been almost a year since I placed an order. I would go for the Z06 if they made it in a convertible.

But, I should get busy if I am to produce enough wealth to purchase these cars and Ethan's choices also!  HA HA!  B)

Not to worry. Looks to me like Ethan will do just fine on his own. :)

I would love to have Porshe Carrera Gt. I have it on a game and its engine sound is really cool. B)

I forgot about the Saleen S7. Which is made in Cal. Its top speed is 200 mph, and its around $400,000. B)

I would love to have Porshe Carrera Gt. I have it on a game and its engine sound is really cool. B)

Check this out. After the display is all done, be sure to click on "Carrera GT Experience" and then "Sounds" to hear the acceleration.

$440,000. You can figure a way if you want it enough. (The silver one I saw was gorgeous.)

I agree with your comments Stephen about the CLS 55, but it will be a nice car to pick my children up from school with. I also look forward to seeing pictures of you with your new "velocity yellow" Corvette. I can imagen a yellow blur with a big smile!

Here in Vegas we have all sorts of exotic car dealers. The Wynn has a Maserati/Ferrari Dealer right inside the hotel. On the opening day we went, and they had a Ferrari Enzo, black exterior with tan interior, such a beautiful object. At Caesars Palace they now have an "Exotic Cars" dealership with all sorts of high-end cars. From Bentley Continental GT's to Lamborghini Murcielago's and everything worthy of being there. They even have $50,000 motorcycles like I have never seen before.

I love to see that man can create such amazing and beautiful objects.

Anyone that can appreciate a fine car should read about Jay Leno's extensive garage, particularly his 9000lb roadsters that are over 22 feet long (these numbers should be around correct) powered by old US military gasoline tank engines.

Through a series of very peculiar trades (involving 1800 cubic inch gasoline tank motors my father had wanted to make an extra large Air-boat from) my family ended up being invited to fly down to California and receive a personal tour of Jay Leno's garage, given to them by Jay himself. This man's car collection is beyond my ability of explanation on a message board, read about it on the internet; it's insane. He has a Lamborghini room, with a pile of Lamborghinis ready to go, a collection of steam powered cars, a motorcycle powered by a Bell helicopter turbine (the acceleration is poor at first then picks up with higher rpm's), a collection of 80 other motorcycles, etc. etc. You can't really imagine it until you see the pictures my family took, especially the ones of him taking them riding in his colossal roadster.

http://www.frostbite.ca/btn4_2.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...html?page=2&c=y

http://www.sweetchariots.com/JayLeno-HotRod1.jpg

"This engine is an AV-1790-5B and it's 1792 cu. in. It has overhead cams and Hemi heads. Since it was designed to move a tank, it puts out 810 hp and makes 1560 ft.-lb. of torque."

Every vehicle he owns is sitting there with 1: the keys in the ignition, and 2: a drip-pan under it. He told my brother that it isn't a real car unless it drips a little oil*laughs*.

Read about his garage.

Jay Leno was one of the first people to own a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. Which is around $440,000, with a top speed of 210 mph. He also owns about 100 cars.

Jerry Seinfeld has around 28 Porsches including the Carrera GT.

Thank you Stephen for the link of the Porsche, it was awesome.

Thank you Carlos E. Jordan for the links, they were cool.

From the Porshe website:

At Porsche, we have a principle that is absolutely fundamental to our philosophy of race engineering: compromise is simply not an option.
That's awesome! Good philosophy and good cars- what more could one ask for?

I love cars too- though I've yet to buy one for myself. It's on my TO DO list. B)

Anyway, my uncle has a kind of rare car called an BMW M-Coupe. Not the M3 Coupe, this is a earlier, and rarer, version. Click here to see and read about it. (Remember he has the coupe, not the roadster.) When I visited him in Arizona, he even let me drive it. It was so much fun! Ahh...

Ray, I saw that car in a magazine and thought it was an awesome car. Like Steven said, not an exotic, but the coolest business man type of car- the type of car I could picture myself getting out of when I have my own business. :) What color would you want?

Zak

In my opinion, the most beautiful supercar ever made was the Jaguar XJ220. The technology is a bit dated now...

In a much more mundane category, I find the BMW Z8 extremely elegant, like a 21st Century version of the E-Type.

Anyone that can appreciate a fine car should read about Jay Leno's extensive garage, particularly his 9000lb roadsters that are over 22 feet long (these numbers should be around correct) powered by old US military gasoline tank engines.

Through a series of very peculiar trades (involving 1800 cubic inch gasoline tank motors my father had wanted to make an extra large Air-boat from) my family ended up being invited to fly down to California and receive a personal tour of Jay Leno's garage, given to them by Jay himself.

The pictures look great, though parking that monster must be a nightmare. :D It must have been a real nice experience for your family.

From what I can tell, Jay Leno seems like quite a guy. We have a local radio show on Sundays that seems to have been on forever. It is hosted by Leon Kaplan -- the Sherlock Holmes of automotive diagnosis -- who is also known as The Motor Man. Leon is a delightful person in his own right, and he is a friend of Jay Leno. Leno calls the show every once in a while, usually with some interesting comments. But, even more interesting are the people who have called in relating their own unique experiences with Leno. I remember the story of an older couple whose car had a flat tire a little bit away from civilization, and along came Jay Leno on one of his motorcycles. Sure enough, he stopped and changed the flat for them.

Kaplan, who really is the most able mechanic I have ever heard/seen in my life, says that Leno is himself a fantastic mechanic. Interesting how common values can bring otherwise disparate people together.

Zak,

I would like it to be black, or maybe the dark red they have on the MB web-site. I would also want black leather interior with wrap around black tinted windows.

I was invited to Mercedes-Benz's last two road rallys that they held here in Vegas. You can drive all sorts of Mercedes in all the different classes. Last May I got to drive their new M-Class, a very nice SUV. They also had the CL65 AMG convertible which is an amazingly fast car, again not super-sport looking but what power. I have also been in the Maybach 57, which defines super comfort, the head-rest was softer than my pillow.

I remember reading that Ayn Rand loved the luxury that was created in the train, in the last train ride that she took. I love the luxury that man can create in these amazing cars. Also the fact that someone has created enough wealth to afford these great cars.

How did you get the picture in your post?

There needs to be a pic on a website (I am hosting this one). Once you have the URL of the pic (you geth the URL by right-clicking the picture and selecting "Properties"), you can make it appear on any bulleting boards by using tags.

In this case, I enter the following:

square bracket open;"img";square bracket closed;URL of the image;square bracket open;"/img";square bracket closed

There you go...

BTW, there are 2 moral issues when using those pics:

1) Intelectual property (most of those pics are copyrighted, but I assume it's OK to post somewhere)

2) If you use the URL of the original site (rather than host the picture yourself), then you're using their bandwidth.

I would like it to be black, or maybe the dark red they have on the MB web-site.  I would also want black leather interior with wrap around black tinted windows. 
Yeah dude, I'd take black or silver with either black or tan leather. I'd have to see to choose.
I was invited to Mercedes-Benz's last two road rallys that they held here in Vegas.  You can drive all sorts of Mercedes in all the different classes.  Last May I got to drive their new M-Class, a very nice SUV.  They also had the CL65 AMG convertible which is an amazingly fast car, again not super-sport looking but what power.  I have also been in the Maybach 57, which defines super comfort, the head-rest was softer than my pillow. 
That sounds like alot of fun.
I remember reading that Ayn Rand loved the luxury that was created in the train,  in the last train ride that she took.  I love the luxury that man can create in these amazing cars.  Also the fact that someone has created enough wealth to afford these great cars.
Agreed. Luxury and speed!

Zak

I've never had anything resembling the kind of money needed to buy any of the cars listed here, but I'd like to mention the only car I've owned that I really loved (relatively speaking, that is, as you'll see). The first car I ever bought on my own (no parents or spouse involved), a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser. I ordered her with all I wanted of the features that were available, waited three months because of the backlog at the time, and took delivery in early December, 2000. The dark blue (Chrysler called it Patriot Blue). Named her Angelina, after Angelina Jolie in Gone in 60 Seconds.

She meant as much to me as any million dollar car might mean mean to someone else. Unfortunately, I had her for less than two years. My older son was driving home very late one night and fell asleep at the wheel. He went off the road and crashed into the side of a house. He was completely uninjured, which of course was all I was ever really concerned about. Angelina was totaled. Naturally, compared to the tragedy that could have been, you can't say I'm really upset at all about losing her. But at the level of value that a car can hold, I do miss her.

Once I have my business on solid footing and can begin to think about things like new cars, I plan to replace my PT. I'll eventually buy more expensive, more powerful, more sporty, and more luxurious ones, but no other car will ever quite take Angelina's place.

I'll chime in as being a big time car guy and add something a lot of you may not have heard of yet: The new Corvette Blue Devil, which is based on the 427 Z06, and should feature the 427 motor with forced induction (that is, turbo or supercharger, which means at LEAST 100-200 more horsepower)... and here's the kicker: they'll be using carbon fiber in the body so it will weigh in at around 2900 lbs (!) and should sticker for around $100,000!!!

Here's a link: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102690

I'll chime in as being a big time car guy and add something a lot of you may not have heard of yet: The new Corvette Blue Devil, which is based on the 427 Z06, and should feature the 427 motor with forced induction (that is, turbo or supercharger, which means at LEAST 100-200 more horsepower)... and here's the kicker: they'll be using carbon fiber in the body so it will weigh in at around 2900 lbs (!) and should sticker for around $100,000!!!

Here's a link: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102690

Autoweek had the first story on the Blue Devil almost two years ago. If it ever sees production (I doubt it) it would be rather incredible. The recently announced price/performance for the Z06 -- starting at $65,800 for zero to sixty at 3.7 sec (!) -- is itself so phenomenal that the Devil at $100,000 would be almost inconceivable. It would need wings.

Piz,

If you want to mention first cars, I might have you beat. I bought my first car after working at McDonalds for a couple of months. The car was a 1969 Pontiac Venture, red/rust (I lived in Western New York, close to Buffalo), and it cost me $300 which I payed in cash. I owned it for 9 months, put 27,000 miles on it in that time. I also never changed the oil, just added more, oops!

My first new car was a 1989 Chevy Beretta, red with gray interior. I bought the Beretta when I was stationed in Maine. Then I drove it all the way to California when I got re-stationed there in 1991. I put more that 160,00 miles on that car before I sold it in 1996.

From my first new car which cost $12,000 to the one I am going to purchase next year. "Pride demands moral ambition" is a statement I agree with, that extends into all areas, even car ownership. If a person wants what they consider the best (within their means), it will be worth every hardship to get it. I know though that if I never get one of those other cars mentioned earlier, I will still be happy because I never gave up nor will I.

If you want to mention first cars, I might have you beat.  I bought my first car after working at McDonalds for a couple of months.  The car was a 1969 Pontiac Venture, red/rust (I lived in Western New York, close to Buffalo), and it cost me $300 which I payed in cash.

My first car cost a whopping $100! A black 1950 Ford that I entered from the passenger side because the driver-side door was smashed and it became a permanent part of the frame. I loved that car but I was seduced by a red 1951 Mercury convertible so I saved up and with the trade-in I bought it for $275. What a gorgeous car that was. Too bad it only lasted twenty minutes before the engine caught on fire. :D

I know though that if I never get one of those other cars mentioned earlier, I will still be happy because I never gave up nor will I.

Not to worry. Ethan will let you drive his. :D

My first car cost a whopping $100! A black 1950 Ford that I entered from the passenger side because the driver-side door was smashed and it became a permanent part of the frame. I loved that car but I was seduced by a red 1951 Mercury convertible so I saved up and with the trade-in I bought it for $275. What a gorgeous car that was. Too bad it only lasted twenty minutes before the engine caught on fire.  :D 

Not to worry. Ethan will let you drive his.  :D

Thank you Stephen, I laughed while reading your whole post.