EthanK

Musings on some of the cars I enjoy

48 posts in this topic

I was always a fan of the Porsche 911 series ... before 1997. I had a soft spot for those "bug eye" headlights (not to mention the unforgiving handling). When Porsche canted the line of the headlights back a few degrees, they destroyed the product line. They threw integrity out the window with that design abortion, and when they skin grafted the Boxster front end on to the 911 the sellout was complete.

These days, I drive a Ford pickup and fantasize about buying a Harley.

--HH

P.S Little did I know it but I work for a car company. See

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/rocketscience-05a.html

When Porsche canted the line of the headlights back a few degrees, they destroyed the product line. They threw integrity out the window with that design abortion, and when they skin grafted the Boxster front end on to the 911 the sellout was complete.

Let me just say that even though I am not specifically opinionated on the issue of the Prosche headlights, your passion about it delights me. How much we love these machines to have such strong opinions! :D

Wow. Shooting for a new land record in excess of 900 mph!

One of those would come in real handy on the 405 Freeway.  :D

Van Nuys to LAX in 6 seconds!

(During the rush hour: 1 hour, 45 minutes.)

First car: 1966 Mustang. Red/Primer. $625 (that's 1988 dollars). Ended up replacing many parts, including tranny. Unfortunately totaled in an aggressive display of adolescent stupidity.

Current car: recently adopted a VERY well cared-for, low-mi 92 Corvette coupe. White. My new little girl. She gets a bath on a regular basis. I tuck her in at night. I make sure she drinks nothing but the finest, highest-quality fuel.

Man, what a sweet car! Here's how to think of the experience:

First thing is you notice the way she's put together, from the sharp edges to the slow, sexy curves along her body. You unlock the door to see that there's not a lot of room to just flop down onto a seat. Instead you slide into a cockpit that surrounds and envelops you. The soft leather seat cradles you, firmly supporting you but sooo softly.

You slip the key into the ignition and she awakens with a sudden shudder in protest. She idles a little roughly, so you gently coax her out of park. Just let the wheels roll slowly as you pull out of the parking spot. You shift into drive and ease her out. Gently, though; she's not yet warmed up.

You take her out onto the street, still moving gently. At a speed bump, you angle her body to ease her over one tire at a time. She twists and flexes slightly, but you show her how to move without banging forcefully into anything.

You ease into traffic, giving her a little more gas. By the gauges you can tell she's starting to warm up. She purrs in your ear and whispers, "faster." A little more gas and things start to go fast.

A few minutes more of playing back-and-forth and she's ready. At the light she's warmed up. Red turns green and you go for it, taking her for all she's worth. The pedal hits the floor and she screams to life, throws you back in your seat and howls with pleasure. Her dials swing from one extreme to the other as the two of you act as one.

The curve approaches, but as fast as your going, you know her limits. The curve is nothing. You slice left, then right, then left again. She bends and twists without a tire squeal or slowing down. You feel every detail of the road and guide her, but her soft cradle protects you from the harsh environment.

You glance at the speedometer. Suddenly you're in triple digits and she's not even close to 3000 rpm. It takes all of your self control not to push her further, but your common sense tells you there's a cop around the corner. You ease back on the gas and let her cool down. You look around as you come back to reality, keeping an eye out for a Crown Vic.

You know there's another chance to play later, but for now you say goodbye as you leave her in the parking lot at work. You get her comfortable and cover her to protect her from the harsh summer sun. Just a few hours, my sweet, and I'll return.

Corvette. It's not a car. It's an experience.

Ed- WOW! I love it! The car, the story, the emotion... I want that car! (one similar, of course, I couldn't take away your baby.) What color is it? Also, I'd love to hear how you totalled your first car. If you tell me, I'll tell you about a major mistake I made while driving the other day. :D Luckily nobody or thing was badly injured.

Zak

Yeah dude, I'd take black or silver with either black or tan leather. I'd have to see to choose.

I take that back. Upon further deliberation I would definitely go with a black exterior and interior. :D

Zak

Ed- WOW! I love it! The car, the story, the emotion... I want that car! (one similar, of course, I couldn't take away your baby.) What color is it? Also, I'd love to hear how you totalled your first car. If you tell me, I'll tell you about a major mistake I made while driving the other day.  :D Luckily nobody or thing was badly injured.

Zak

I went 'round a corner waaaaay to fast and lost control. I was fine, but the car got airborne(!) and dented the rear of a Suburban, which ended up in the middle of the guy's front lawn.

Not too bright! :D

I take that back. Upon further deliberation I would definitely go with a black exterior and interior. 

Black looks great on a new, clean car. But it doesn't age well, and it looks crappy when even a little dirt gets on it. White, OTOH, looks pretty good all the time, ages very well, and hides dirt, chips, nicks, and scratches.

Also, if you're in the desert, black is TERRIBLY hot.

So, given the recent choice between two great cars, one black, one white, I chose white. Call it my minor concession to practicality. :-)

The black leather interior is really swell, too.

First thing is you notice the way she's put together, from the sharp edges to the slow, sexy curves along her body....

Ah, love is great!

Great writing. Reminds me of a sensitive Mickey Spillane. Enjoy your vette!

You're welcome, and thank you.

So, break the suspense: what is the new car you will purchase next year?

My new car will be a black convertible Corvette with super black tinted windows and black leather interior. (I agree with Ed, but I can always buy a new one.) It will not cost as much as one of the super sport cars such as a Lamborghini, but it will mean just as much to me. I will enjoy driving the 4 miles to my office everyday in this car. But, this car will truly live for weekends and long lunch breaks!

My new car will be a black convertible Corvette with super black tinted windows and black leather interior.  (I agree with Ed, but I can always buy a new one.)  It will not cost as much as one of the super sport cars such as a Lamborghini, but it will mean just as much to me.  I will enjoy driving the 4 miles to my office everyday in this car.  But, this car will truly live for weekends and long lunch breaks!

Great! Yet another vette lover. Maybe I should add a forum ... :D

Enjoy your car when you get it, Ray. I'm sure you will!

I went 'round a corner waaaaay to fast and lost control.  I was fine, but the car got airborne(!) and dented the rear of a Suburban, which ended up in the middle of the guy's front lawn. 

Not too bright! :D

Okay, I guess I'll say what I did. I was taking my brother and some of his friends to the beach in my mom's Expedition. I showed my brother that if I turned the overdrive off, the car would coast at the speed limit. Then I was going to put it into neutral to show him the increase in speed. Well, it's an automatic and I missed neutral and put it into reverse going around 40 mph. :D It only engaged for a second before I put it into drive again. But the gas stopped working. So I pulled off at the first chance,a sharp hill, and turned it off. I looked under the hood, no smoke or anything, but then it wouldn't start. It finally caught and everything was/is fine, but man was I scared.

Anyway, I'm usually a pretty good driver- the best of all my friends if that means anything. :D

Zak

My first two cars were motorcycles...

I had a Kawazaki 550 Zephyr when I lived in France, and when I moved to the US I bought a Yamaha FZR 600. With the Yam', I crossed the US, sleeping bag straped to the gaz tank and all: North Carolina to California and back, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks with the side trips.

I find cars totally utilitarian now - I own a modest Toyota Rav-4. Today, I saw a Lotus Elise, and it looked as close as it gets to a motorcycles with 4 wheels. However, I know nothing about it.

Corvette.  It's not a car.  It's an experience.

I have never met a dispassionate 'Vette owner. Being dispassionate about driving one would be like being dispassionate about being a Marine. It just doesn't happen.

My favorite example was a colleague who worked at mission control in Houston during the Apollo moon landings. In honor of Apollo 11, he bought a 1969 Corvette which was identical to the freebies that the astronauts got at the time, right down to the color (blue). It has about 475,000 miles on it (roughly the distance to the moon and back), and is on its third engine and its fourth tranny. But the paint job and interior are as clean as the day he drove it off the lot, and he has no intention of ever selling or junking it. (Although he has been a bigamist and consorted with second cars -- usually high end BMW's or Mercedes Benz's.)

it's an automatic and I missed neutral and put it into reverse going around 40 mph.

For future reference, in case you ever have to take an automatic out of drive into neutral while moving, move the shifter without pressing the button (for floor shifters; for column shifters, don't pull the lever toward you while moving it). Every automatic I've ever driven let me go from drive to neutral and back like that, but without the button pressed it won't go into reverse (or past drive in the other direction, for that matter).

In reference to what other FORUM members have stated about their first car, I have something about my first (DESIRED) car. It is a 1993 Dodge Viper which has a red exterior and a black interior. But a Vette would do nicely also (dad), or both.

In reference to what other FORUM members have stated about their first car, I have something about my first (DESIRED) car.  It is a 1993 Dodge Viper which has a red exterior and a black interior. But a Vette would do nicely also (dad), or both.

Considering the stories we have heard about guys and their first car, I suspect your Dad may have a tank in mind. :D

For future reference, in case you ever have to take an automatic out of drive into neutral while moving, move the shifter without pressing the button (for floor shifters; for column shifters, don't pull the lever toward you while moving it). Every automatic I've ever driven let me go from drive to neutral and back like that, but without the button pressed it won't go into reverse (or past drive in the other direction, for that matter).

Thank you very much for the advice, though I partially figured that out on the way home. I had to try it again to make sure I could do it right.

I prefer standard much more. It's much more fun.

Zak

Current car: recently adopted a VERY well cared-for, low-mi 92 Corvette coupe.  White. My new little girl.  She gets a bath on a regular basis.  I tuck her in at night.  I make sure she drinks nothing but the finest, highest-quality fuel. 

So what's her name?

So what's her name?

Funny you should ask. After giving two girls from the conference rides in it, I've asked for suggestions. One suggested Cassandra, which to me sounds close but not quite right. The other didn't have anything right away, but we'll see.

Ahh, the burdens of 'Vette ownership... :D

Funny you should ask.  After giving two girls from the conference rides in it, I've asked for suggestions.  One suggested Cassandra, which to me sounds close but not quite right.  The other didn't have anything right away, but we'll see. 

Ahh, the burdens of 'Vette ownership...  :)

Yay! Glad to hear you got your Vette, congratulations :)

Cassandra is a lovely name, but you have to find the one that 'fits'.