Janet_Busch

Hi! I'm Janet Busch

7 posts in this topic

I see that the number of registered members has already grown to over a hundred. Since there are no introductions as yet, I thought I would start things off.

I'm a retired nurse (RN). My husband and I live on our ketch (that's a sailing vessel, for all you landlubbers :angry:).

I've been an Objectivist for over 30 years. I'm still learning. "Still learning" is one of my favorite things about being an Objectivist! While I love to learn what the professional philosophers (at ARI, that is) are doing and saying about the big things that are going on in the world, I particularly enjoy watching how philosophy plays out in our every day lives.

We live in very interesting times, historical in ways other than political. For instance, I love to read the blogs, some of which are very well written by people who are knowledgeable in a vast variety of fields. This phenomenon represents a fundamental change in the way people are getting their ideas out into the world. Especially interesting to me is the way some of the better blogs are shining a light on the media and academia. I find it fascinating to watch "ordinary" people take on established, and incredibly insular and arrogant, institutions such as the mainstream media, and actually having an effect. Being ex-military, I also like to read the milblogs.

I look forward to our future discussions, and I'm thrilled that we are being hosted by people who are not just knowledgeable, but have the life experience necessary to be able to own wisdom as well.

Thank you to Stephen and Betsy Speicher!

I look forward to our future discussions, and I'm thrilled that we are being hosted by people who are not just knowledgeable, but have the life experience necessary to be able to own wisdom as well.

Thank you to Stephen and Betsy Speicher!

I second the Thank You, Janet. I also really appreciate reading CyberNet!

Janet, I recognize your name as well from other discussions and always liked to read what you wrote!

I am Elizabeth from Florida. Married for 16 years to my best friend, Tony and we have 2 teen-age children.

Since I am the only Objectivist I know (in person), I really enjoy being able to read and share thoughts with other students of Objectivism and fans of Ayn Rand.

We live in very interesting times, historical in ways other than political.  For instance, I love to read the blogs, some of which are very well written by people who are knowledgeable in a vast variety of fields.

Hello, Janet,

I love to read YOUR posts which are very well written by someone who is knowledgeable!!!

I am of your generation and also discovered Objectivism 30 years ago. What a delight to learn of you via the Internet.

I discovered your insightful, informative, and valuable posts on OO.net and frequently found myself cheering at my computer screen as I read your passionate expression of pride in America and in our military men and women.

I have learned alot from what you have had to say, and look forward to hearing more from you here.

I second the Thank You, Janet.  I also really appreciate reading CyberNet!

Janet, I recognize your name as well from other discussions and always liked to read what you wrote!

I am Elizabeth from Florida.  Married for 16 years to my best friend, Tony and we have 2 teen-age children.

Since I am the only Objectivist I know (in person), I really enjoy being able to read and share thoughts with other students of Objectivism and fans of Ayn Rand.

Thank you, Elizabeth.

May I ask where in Florida you live? I've lived in Miami (where I went to school - go Hurricanes!), Orlando (back when Disney World was still a swamp), and Pensacola (at the Navy base). I've always loved living on the water, but Florida has too many varmints for me. Vicious flying cockroaches!!!

I know exactly what you mean about being able to finally meet other Objectivists. It's been a long, lonely road. No matter. Now we have the Internet! It was worth the wait. I absolutely love it.

Hello, Janet,

I love to read YOUR posts which are very well written by someone who is knowledgeable!!!

I am of your generation and also discovered Objectivism 30 years ago.  What a delight to learn of you via the Internet. 

I discovered your insightful, informative, and valuable posts on OO.net and frequently found myself cheering at my computer screen as I read your passionate expression of pride in America and in our military men and women.

I have learned alot from what you have had to say, and look forward to hearing more from you here.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I do take enormous pride in our military. Like all government bureaucracies, the military has its problems. The military is a mirror of the country in many ways. They have their gang members, for example, and other malcontents. Even those who come to our forces with many problems, however, are taught that they have the power to make changes in their lives. I think it is because they are expected to perform and aren't allowed many excuses. They learn about life and reality. Most parents would be astounded at what their children are capable of, given the chance.

Well, there I go again. :angry: It is so easy to get me started.

Thanks again.

Thank you, Elizabeth.

May I ask where in Florida you live?

It looks like you had your fill of our swamps! :angry:

I'm in the Orlando area. Tell me about the bugs and scary creatures! I just killed a baby snake next to the house last week - think it was a water moccasin. (shiver)

I'm originally from Colorado though and hope to return home someday.

I agree - it's great to have the internet! I'm glad to have the opportunity to participate here. :o