Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sazz

Educational Materials for Toddlers

2 posts in this topic

Hi

I am looking for educational materials suitable for my toddler. Any recommendations about what and where I can purchase them?

Thanks

This is Gail Paquette's reply to the questions posed by sazz.

It's been quite a while since I've looked for toddler education materials, but I can offer some suggestions on what to look for in general.

Toddlers are very tactile oriented.  Blocks of different sizes and shapes, rubber puzzles (Laurie brand), and water and sand toys can provide lots of opportunity for open-ended learning.  Toddlers often want to touch everything, so I recommend teaching them how to "touch gently" and to always ask before touching unfamiliar things (such as fragile items, or things that belong to other people).

Toddlers are also developing large motor skills.  Push toys (child-size shopping carts with household items to collect, wagons or wheel barrows), tricycles, bouncing and jumping games help develop coordination and a positive sense of accomplishment.  Even if a toddler gets frustrated with not being able to do an activity right off the bat, I would recommend that parents or older siblings encourage appropriate motor development.

As far as intellectual development, toddlers learn from being read to and having their many questions answered in a simple manner.  I think toddlers ask so many questions just to confirm that there are answers to things that they may not yet understand--but it's comforting to verify that someone knows the answers!  They ask the same questions over and over, and they try to explain their understanding even if it's not accurate.  Encourage your toddler's verbal development and if there are older siblings, try not to let them "speak for" the toddler.

One story-teller that I really enjoyed when my kids were young was Jim Weiss.  His cd's and tapes are probably still available on-line and are great for travel or at home "quiet time."

Hope that helps to guide you choices for your toddler's learning enjoyment!

Best regards,

Gail Paquette

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0