Joss Delage

Which magazines do you read?

33 posts in this topic

"Like many "rebels," Wigmans is better in rejecting what is wrong than in replacing it with what is right."

So is there something you genuinely dislike about him or would you consider him to be a honest but mistaken Physicist?

I have a question what kind of magazines are we talking about. :)

But he did publish a paper predicting the new rest mass of the neutrino (he explained it to us in detail one day a while ago) which I was under the impression that it was stirring up significant interest because I recalled him having to cancel class a number of days for when he was flying to Europe to speak on it or things of that nature.

How long ago was "a while ago?" His most recent paper involving neutrino mass was a couple of years ago, touching on some aspects incorporated later into that whole fermion degeneracy pressure scheme. It was not so much a prediction, but rather a consequential requirement for the scheme to work, and that was the value that I mentioned was later reduced by one-half.

My professors are the former, what we are taught is delightfully concrete.

That's good to hear. Considering your martial art skills, if they were otherwise, you could dispatch them rather quickly. :):)

"Like many "rebels," Wigmans is better in rejecting what is wrong than in replacing it with what is right."

So is there something you genuinely dislike about him or would you consider him to be a honest but mistaken Physicist?

I have no knowledge of your professor other than from a couple of papers by him that I read. I find little merit in what he proposes, but you would know better than me what sort of person he is.

A while ago was this very last spring semester, probably in April 05. We were spending that day particularly on Neutrinos (I had been uninterested in them until he showed us how delightfully eccentric and important these little things are) and he had this big graph up showing I think possible rest mass energies for the neutrino and where more than likely the range was. He explained to us how in detail (but I forgot, we covered A LOT of info in that class, it was the class he created called Cosmophysics that was a side interest Physics majors could take; we went over an astounding amount of information and number of subjects) he calculated/predicted a more accurate mass for the neutrino. It was during this same semester that he left several times to give speeches. I think he has been giving speeches over this for well over a year now abroad.

"That's good to hear. Considering your martial art skills, if they were otherwise, you could dispatch them rather quickly"

*laughs*

I don't know, some of them are High-Energy Physicists and might fire some 10GeV particles or "fastballs" at me...but then again, Keanu Reeves said "I'm going to learn jiu-jitsu?" then an hour later was dodging bullets so who knows *shrugs*

The kind of magazines I get every month aren't really reading magizines they're more like buying magazines, because they sell skateboarding stuff.

I used to have a subscription to Discover as well. The last magazine of theirs I read had a picture of a tornado on the front with a reference to global warming.

Right now I have no magazine subscriptions but I may get back into Popular Mechanics.