Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

Rate this movie   8 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

I have always enjoyed this movie for many reasons. Dick Van Dyke's dancing and singing were almost always light-hearted and enjoyful. The imagination of his story telling to his kids. He also ends his story with the good as winners which I think shows the benevolence of the overall movie.

I also enjoyed the grandpa, with his wild imagination and songs. "Posh, posh, posh its the posh life for me". Posh translates into fashionable, which I think he means the good.

My kids and I, even as they are getting older, still enjoy this movie each time.

As a side note, during the beginning of the filming Dick Van Dyke strained his back to the point where he could barely move. This did not stop him, as one can witness while he does his dance scenes after the back injury. I do not generally like to see people in pain, I bring this up to show what a professional he is. If you view the movie and look at his face and body movement, you could never tell he was in such serious pain.

I had to give it a 10! :)

I loved Grandpa, their house, the car, and the Child Catcher scared me to death when I was a little girl! And who could ever forget the music?!

Aurelia, thank you, thank you, thank you for suggesting CCBB. I meant to do so myself a while back & forgot!

It's one of my all time faves from childhood. Dick Van Dyke is incredible! The Child Catcher is the perfect evil villain for such a film. The story was originally by Ian Fleming (of James Bond fame). The music by the Sherman brothers is priceless. They also did the tunes for "Mary Poppins". I love those tunes so much I play them regularly for my son. I recorded myself playing 2 of them for all the little ones in our family & put them on a "kiddie tunes" page of my site. Nothing fancy, just me playing guitar & singing in my living room.

Click here for my version of "P-O-S-H, Posh!"

Click here for my version of "Hushabye Mountain"

I own several old VHS copies of this & the new DVD collectors edition (awesome extras!). I watch it at least once a year if not more. A perfect 10.

I also gave it a 10.

I am trying hard to remember any words from any major positive character which could be interpreted as even a glancing tribute to altruism, but I cannot remember a single one. I won't be surprised if my memory is failing and there are some, but there is no painting in shades of grey in this movie.

Even if one considers the grandfather to be a positive character (which he largely is) it is clear from the movie that his attempts to lower the sights of the DVD character are wrong, and that DVD's enthusiam for inventing new things is the proper model. Much of the grandfather's grouching sounds like it was scripted by Ayn Rand as an example of what NOT to say to children, and it is clear from his character's aura of detachment from reality that his viewpoint is wrong. And is even one of the inventions DVD came up with intended to lessen pollution or attain some other socially-conventional goal? I don't think so. They are all classically labor-saving, fun, or both.

Clearly the movie is a fantasy, and as such doesn't approach a model of Ayn Rand fiction. But this is the type of fantasy which is not tongue in cheek, and not self-deprecating. In fact, the movie largely makes clear that the fantasy should not be taken literally, but that the dream is an incentive, or an example, of proper living in reality.

This is a great favourite of mine. I've always been impressed with it's brilliant musical sequences, especially the delicately clipped music box song by Sally Howes and the vigorous Roses of Success. The whole movie is truly delightful and benevolent. :)

~Aurelia

Oh you, pretty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you

And in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang what we'll do

Near, far, in our motor car

Oh, what a happy time we'll spend

Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Our fine four-fendered friend

You're sleek as a thoroughbred,

your seats are a featherbed,

you'll turn everybody's head today

We'll glide on our motor trip

with pride in our ownership,

the envy of all we survey

Oh Chitty, you Chitty, pretty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you

And Chitty, in Chitty, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang what we'll do

Near Chitty, far Chitty, in our motor car

Oh, what a happy time we'll spend

FUN MOVIE!

The lyrics are great Rose! :)

Christopher, thanks for sharing the links to the songs! I couldn't help but sing-a-long to POSH! FUN! :)

Good choice, Aurelia!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0