Vladimir Berkov

Clash of cultures

28 posts in this topic

[i realize I'm responding to a rather old post, but Columbus day is only a couple weeks away]

P

...I also remember that last year (probably in October in honor of Columbus Day), Bowden gave a talk sponsored by the Ayn Rand Institute in which, among other things, he specifically gave a long answer to the question of what exactly happened in the "Trail of Tears" incident...

If I remember right, it was on that talk that he also presented a great essentialzed list of the basic characteristics of Western Culture which included things like:

• the acceptance of the fact that one's living conditions can and ought to be continually improved by reason and science
  • the view of man as in individual as opposed to only a member of some group
  • the idea of self-determination as opposed to being born to a certain class or caste

Does anyone happen to have this list handy ?

A recording of the talk is probably available from ARI. Its title was "Columbus Day Without Guilt."

It most certainly is, in audio and video.

[i realize I'm responding to a rather old post, but Columbus day is only a couple weeks away]

If I remember right, it was on that talk that he also presented a great essentialzed list of the basic characteristics of Western Culture which included things like:

• the acceptance of the fact that one's living conditions can and ought to be continually improved by reason and science
  • the view of man as in individual as opposed to only a member of some group
  • the idea of self-determination as opposed to being born to a certain class or caste

Does anyone happen to have this list handy ?

It most certainly is, in audio and video.

I don't have the recording of that talk, but Bowden also published the book The Enemies of Christopher Columbus, where he discussed the basic characteristics of Western Culture at length. He wrote there that "the essential achievement of Western civilization has been to establish and implement in practice the following truths:" (pp 12-13)

1. The universe operates according to natural law rather than being controlled by supernatural powers or mysterious spirits;

2. By observing nature and applying reason, through the scientific method, men can understand the natural laws by which things work and apply that understanding to the task of living on earth;

3. By assuming self-responsibility, each individual can shape the course of his own life rather than being controlled by the will of the tribe;

4. by choosing to work hard, men can achieve a constantly improving standard of living through production, invention, technology, trade, and the accumulation and transfer of knowledge from generation to generation;

5. Governments that protect the rights to life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness establish spheres of freedom within which individuals can achieve the best that is possible to them;

6. Artists, by studying reality and the methods by which human beings perceive it, can provide vital inspiration by re-creating reality in an idealized form.

Thanks !

That's the list I was trying to remember.

(I think you just sold a book, too :) )