Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Stealth (2005)

Rate this movie   3 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

I am not going to rate this movie as I refuse to see it. But, I have seen the preview 14 times at the theater, and have to make one comment on the basic story idea.

If you take the movie The Terminator, and get rid of the time travel, the terminators, Arnold, and all of the machines except for one fighter jet, then you have the movie Stealth.

If you take The Matrix, get rid of the matrix, the agents, the architect, the oracle, the coo-coo philosophy, all the fighting et all, and get rid of all the machines, except for one fighter jet, then you have the movie Stealth.

Anybody need a job? Writers needed!

If you take the movie The Terminator, and get rid of the time travel, the terminators, Arnold, and all of the machines except for one fighter jet, then you have the movie Stealth.

If you take The Matrix, get rid of the matrix, the agents, the architect, the oracle, the coo-coo philosophy, all the fighting et all, and get rid of all the machines, except for one fighter jet, then you have the movie Stealth. 

I thought the same thing when I saw the preview. Its yet another anti-technology movie that, of course, is made with state of the art technology.

...Sigh...

Hollywood, Hollywood, Hollywood...

The movie, Stealth, in current release, has received uniformly poor reviews. So, I thought I knew what it was about: lots of fast planes, "mind-numbing" action, and some cheesy dialogue.

But, with one of my favorite actors, Josh Lucas (Secondhand Lions, A Beautiful Mind, Alive), in a starring role, I knew I had to ignore the critics, as well as my own misgivings, and see it. I was pleasantly surprised.

What is wrong with this film is not as powerful as what is good about it. What you'll see is a movie with a great script (if you accept some of the more outlandish premises such as a fighter jet attaining consciousness), sound acting, and some rather tight direction.

But, you'll also see a script tweaked for "the viewing public". Thus, a very intelligent actor plays a highly-intellectual role in a slightly playboyish manner, which doesn't wear well in the early scenes in which he tries to do so. Another excellent actor is told to bring "street-cred" to a role that should have been played straight, with proper speech inflections. There are some concessions to the anti-"War on Terrorism" crowd. And the improving Rob Cohen (Fast and the Furious, XXX) delivers some unfortunate Michael-Bay-like explosions.

But, if you put these aside, you'll really enjoy this movie, which had the audience in my theater spellbound towards the ending.

To whet your appetite with the movie's essentials, I'll say that it is a movie about what happens to three cutting-edge fighter pilots, an Aristotelian, a Hegelian, and a modern political liberal, when they are told to fly with a new teammate; who turns out to be the most moral actor of them all in the war against terrorism.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0