Inspector

Top Gear

12 posts in this topic

Being a "car guy," I noticed this little show on the discovery channel one day about a month or so back. Being moderately entertained by such shows, I gave it a chance to show me what it was all about...

At first, I started to notice the little things. "Huh," I thought, "they're really using some interesting camera angles here." "Hmmm," I pondered, "they really have chosen some interesting locales, which they're doing a great job of filming." "Wow," I mused, "that's a really clever choice for a background song they're using for this bit."

Their style was certainly setting them apart from the pack. The personalities of the hosts were charming and fun, as Brits can often be. And what I started to realize is that the show wasn't like other car shows. Where, for example, Car and Driver television (which is a fine program) would simply show a few instrumented tests and report a few dry figures on a car, Top Gear would have a highly entertaining concept. They ran a Lotus around a track while an Apache helicopter gunship tried to get a missile lock on it. (it couldn't!)

After a few more episodes, each with its own interesting concept, I realized it wasn't just a one-off thing. These guys were CAR LOVERS in a big way. They ran a cross-country race of two men using the 200kph supertrain against one in an Aston Martin. (The car won! yay!) A group of car enthusiasts that look down their noses at public transport... in Europe no less? Sign me up!

But that's not the best part.

Just last week I caught an episode where they set out to discover just how tough a little Toyota pickup is. Now these things are known for their reliability, but could the little red truck stand up to crashes, wrecking balls, flames, and the fury of the oceans? As that piece progressed, I found myself on the edge of my seat, cheering on that little truck as it survived against almost impossible odds...

Then it caught me! "What's that music in the background? It sounds... familiar... WAIT! THAT SOUNDS LIKE SERGIO LEONE!" That's right: they were playing the "locket" music from "For A Few Dollars More" at tense moments as I wondered if that scrappy little truck had survived. And as it pulled through to the next challenge? Yup, Sergio Leone again!

NOW I was impressed. The musical scores from that trilogy have a pretty direct channel into my emotions.

I began to realize that something unusual was happening. This wasn't your ordinary, run-of-the-mill car show. WOW! :D I had to admit that I had stumbled onto something amazing!

I'm not going to give away the ending to the saga of the little red Toyota, but let me tell you there was a little tear in my eye before it was over. I recommend that the serious car people tune in: I hope it can provide you with as much enjoyment as it did me. :D

Boy is my face red. :D

In my enthusiasm, I accidentally wrote "Sergio Leone," the director of the films from which the music came, rather than the composer: Ennio Morricone. Oops!

They ran a Lotus around a track while an Apache helicopter gunship tried to get a missile lock on it. (it couldn't!)

They don't need too, they got a nice 30mm Chain Gun that can handle such things :)

Being a "car guy," I noticed this little show on the discovery channel one day about a month or so back....

Sounds great. I'll give it a try.

Speaking of cars ... It has been almost a year, but this little yellow thing finally arrived at my door just a little while ago.

post-1-1124399941_thumb.jpg

Sounds great. I'll give it a try.

Speaking of cars ... It has been almost a year, but this little yellow thing finally arrived at my door just a little while ago.

post-1-1124399941_thumb.jpg

Such a beautifu thing!

Stephen,

Who did you have to bribe to get that plate: "I LOVE LA"? You'd think that one would have been snapped up years ago.

--HH

Stephen,

Who did you have to bribe to get that plate: "I LOVE LA"? You'd think that one would have been snapped up years ago.

Yes, It was. By me! :)

Years ago California had six-letter plates, and at that time I had "LUV LA." When the seven-letter plates were first introduced they held a lottery for those plates which had duplicate requests. Needless to say mine was one of the most popular, and fortunately I won the lottery.

Hardly a day goes by that someone does not comment on the plate, and/or offer to buy it from me. It was photographed for a book on vanity plates when I had it on my "digital" jeep, and it made a newspaper column when it was on my red convertible. I just transfer it from car to car.

Hardly a day goes by that someone does not comment on the plate, and/or offer to buy it from me. It was photographed for a book on vanity plates when I had it on my "digital" jeep, and it made a newspaper column when it was on my red convertible. I just transfer it from car to car.

They even paid us for permission to use it as a visual clue on Jeopardy!

Glad to see I'm not the only "petrol head" on the forum that loves this show! You nailed it; the combination of a stellar production, sharp, witty hosts, and a real love of good cars on any level really make this show jump out of the screen and into any car guy's 7 liter V12 heart.