Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Rome (2005)

Rate this TV show   2 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

This is the HBO production, first episode of which aired tonight. I would like to ask if anyone has seen it, before offering my own comments and impressions.

I have little doubt that it will be a pro-caesar/anti-republican show. I'll probably check it out on On Demand and then I may come back and write what I think about it.

I have little doubt that it will be a pro-caesar/anti-republican show. I'll probably check it out on On Demand and then I may come back and write what I think about it.

I TiVo'd it. I'll report back when I've watched it.

Ok, so I watched it yesterday and I must say I was quite impressed by it. It did not seem to lean in favor of Caesar and in fact made him out to be a caniving dishonest man. This is my first impression.

Well, I wasn't expecting anything to the contrary, so it didn't really upset me as much as if it were a surprise.

Well, despite seeing it over and over again in today's pop culture, I still expected a respectful account. Even Gladiator, definitely not a movie aiming for historical accuracy, provided a far better, more respectful, and more accurate show of Roman culture than Rome did (i.e. little figures of gods and ancestors vs. a revolting downpouring of blood from a live-slaughtered animal upon the suppliant).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0