JohnRgt

LTE Category

4 posts in this topic

Writing a Letter to the Editor (LTE), be it to a newspaper, a radio station, or a TV program, is one of the most effective ways to disseminate rational ideas. Even if they’re not published LTEs are read, and, if written well, they do have an impact – if only because they remind the entrenched that someone out there is watching/seeing through them.

I suggest that this forum offer a category where LTEers can post their work, both to help those interested in refining this crucial skill, and for motivation. (MAybe as a subcategory in "CULTURAL ACTIVISM."

I’ve had a few LTEs published. I rarely use Miss. Rand’s name for several reasons:

1) I’m not thoroughly familiar with all of Miss Rand’s work yet.

2) ARI’s writers do an incredible job at targeting LTEs and OpEds in a way that publicizes her very effectively (I’m eacquainted with a producer of a major conservative radio talk show. He’s made it clear that ARI LTEs and OpEds are read thoroughly.)

3) Publishable LTEs are very, very short, leaving little room to both make a solid argument and publicize Objectivism (“Ayn Rand said so” is the opposite of what, I think, is called for at this time.)

4) As incredible as Objectivism’s growth has been, and as certain as it is that it will prevail, there are still many in the media who have a negative, knee-jerk reaction when they come across Miss. Rand’s name. Why make it easier for these creatures to evade rational viewpoints?

Robert Tracinski has published a great course on LTE writing. It’s available at ARB:

http://tinyurl.com/6yp5o

Thank you all for your time.

JohnRgt

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I think it is an excellent idea to have a forum devoted to letters to the editor. Let me think about it for a while and decide how best to incorporate it.

Incidentally, in addition to Rob Tracinski's excellent piece, Betsy wrote a short, practical-minded article on LTE's for TIA back when the publication was run by Peter Schwartz. The reference is: How To Write Effective Letters-to-the-Editor, Betsy Speicher, The Intellectual Activist, pp. 4-5, May 28, 1987. (I understand that these older issues are being put into book form.)

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I think it is an excellent idea to have a forum devoted to letters to the editor. Let me think about it for a while and decide how best to incorporate it.

I have now set up CULTURAL ACTIVISM as a category, with "Letters to the Editor" and "Activist Projects" as subforums under the category. I also moved the thread that was previously in CULTURAL ACTIVISM, into the new "Activist Projects."

So, John, you are welcome to inaugurate the forum that you suggested, if you like. Thanks again for the good idea.

So, John, you are welcome to inaugurate the forum that you suggested, if you like. Thanks again for the good idea.

Hi Stephen,

How great that there's now a forum were Objectivists can work on LTEs.

I'll certainly post the next one that geats published -- as I hope all members will.

All the best.

Johnrgt